Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hubby Approved Granola Bars

Mmm! Just made a batch of very successful granola bars! Hubby approved and everything. :) I’m very picky with granola bars. Of course, they must taste de-LICIOUS. And they must be chewy. And they must be healthy. Tough combination. But I think this one can be put near the top of the yummy list.

Hubby Approved Granola Bars:

Print recipe here

  • 3/4 cup old fashioned oats 
  • 1/2 cup nuts ( I used pecans...pulsed briefly in coffee grinder) 
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds 
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon 
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1/4 cup sugar (I use sucanat) 
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil 
  • 1 egg 
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla 
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins, blueberries, etc.) 


1) Preheat oven to 350*F.
2) Combine the oats, nuts and seeds. Spread onto a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3) Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well then add in the remaining ingredients.
4) When the oven mixture is finished toasting, add that to your dough.
5) Spread into a greased 8X8 pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.


Next time I make these I am going to experiment using Stevia, more nuts and seeds, and another egg to increase their nutrition a bit more. I’ll let you know how that works!



Bethany
|



|


Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try these out (on Abby, lol as an after-school snack, lol). Your qualities in a bar sound much like mine. Let us know if you try the changes and how that works.

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know what Abby thinks. ;) Maybe this weekend I will try a new variation...

      Delete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)