Saturday, September 29, 2012

Lip Balm Base

I go through so much chapstick it's ridiculous! I honestly would spend a fortune on the stuff if I didn't make my own...I have (at ALL times) a tube in my purse, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, one in the bathroom, one at work and several stashed in the cupboard as backup. I may be a bit addicted. I just like soft lips...what can I say? Actually I also have issues with chronic coldsores...but that's another topic. In the meantime, here is my lovely lip balm base that I use all the time. I've tweaked it to my ultimate satisfaction...until I find something better. I love to tweak. So feel free to tweak this to your own satisfaction! I have to admit, though, it's a little hard to share some of my "secret" recipes. But I'm learning to let go...jk. ;)

Lip Balm Base


2 Tbs. Apricot Kernel oil (or Almond works well...or if you want, Olive Oil would work...) 
2 tsp. Beeswax
1 tsp. Coconut oil
2 tsp. Shea butter (heaping)
1/4 tsp. Vita E.
5 drops Carrot Seed essential oil

Melt first 4 ingredients in a double boiler. Take off heat and add Vita E and carrot oil. Mix in any other desired essential oils. I personally LOVE Peppermint. That's really the only one I use for numerous reasons. Probably use about 20 drops? Maybe 30 if you like it really pepperminty. For sure don't ever use any citrus oils especially if going outside because they increase photo-sensitivity. And as much as I LOVE Cinnamon oil, it's a bit strong for the sensitive lip skin. Those are just some of my personal brief thoughts. 
*Later on I will give you my recipe for my coldsore prevention chapstick.

Now here are some of the reasons I have those ingredients in my lip balm:

Apricot Kernel Oil
  • Helps relieve dry skin 
  • Helps premature aging

Beeswax:
  • Used to make it a stable solid
  • Moisturizing
  • Protective barrier prevents chapped lips
  • Emollient

Coconut Oil:
  •  High in vitamin E
  • Helps reduce wrinkles
  • Soothing/Healing
  • Antioxidant
  • Protects against sun damage
  • Antiseptic (fights against things like coldsores...)

Shea Butter:
  • Natural sun protectant (approximately spf 6)
  • Moisturizing
  • Soothing (helps with chapped lips)
  • Rejuvenating

Vitamin E:
  •  Antioxidant
  • Protects against sun damage
  • Regenerates skin cells
  • Stabilizes shelf life

Carrot Seed oil:
  • Helps with dryness
  • Rejevenating
  • Reduces scarring (healing)
  •  Helps with premature aging

Peppermint:
  • Cooling
  • Soothing (chapped lips)
  • Analgesic

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)