Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Scones

James and I had a lovely little date to Starbucks today. Makes me all smiley inside. :) James got a pumpkin scone for a little snack before going back to studying...and...that got us both hooked. So I went right back home and found a copycat recipe to whip 'em my myself! 



I ate 3. Shoot.

I'm trying to be a good girl! But sometimes it's sooo hard! Basically I'm saying...don't make these unless you want to over-indulge a bit. 

Scones:
Print recipe here

  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream (I used coconut milk...)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
Sugar Glaze:

  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoons milk
Spiced Glaze:

  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves


1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease two baking pans or line with parchment paper and set aside.


2) In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Add the cubed butter on top. Cut together using a fork or pastry blender until it resembles crumbs. 

3) Mix in the pumpkin, cream, and egg. Make sure all the dry ingredients have been moistened well.

4) Flour your counter and roll the dough into roughly a 12 x 4 inch rectangle. 

5) Cut into triangles with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. It's easiest to first cut the rectangle into 3 squares and then cut each square into 4 triangles. 

6) Place on baking sheets and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until just light brown. Allow them to cool before glazing.

7) While they bake and cool you can mix up your two separate glazes.


8) Once the scones are cooled, using a pastry brush, brush on the sugar glaze. Allow it to set for roughly 10 minutes.

9) Next, drizzle on the spiced glaze. I found it easy to put it in a ziploc bag and cut the tip off.

Now see how many seconds it takes you to eat 3 of them. Like me.

Or not.


~~~~~
Bethany :)
~~~~~




3 comments:

  1. Got to makes these for the wifie! Spiced glaze ingredients- One cup plus 2 T milk? or should that be One cup p. sugar plus 2 T milk?
    Also on a totally different note- yet somewhat related: Have you ever used or is there a product alternative to non-stick spray? I imagine some type of refillable contraption-doo-hickie thing that you fill with healthy oils and spray a nice coat for baking or spritzing tator wedges- you know? I've thought of using a garden sprayer, but it's a wee bit bulky for the kitchen.
    Just curious for your thoughts! Tootles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Typo...thanks for catching that. Yea, it should be one cup milk, 2 Tbs. milk. No plus. Garden sprayer, eh? Gee I think that's a swell idea! I'm thinking your kids might make the house a permanent slip 'n slide with that. Haha. But seriously. I have a pump sprayer they make specifically for that purpose that someone gave me. I put olive oil in. But a regular little spray bottle would work.


    Let me know if you make these for your LOVELY wife. :)
    P.S. I laughed pretty hard when I saw the Anonypotomus

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)