Monday, October 15, 2012

Calendula Oil

I. Love. This. Stuff. (!!) I originally created it to soothe my razor burn that I (use to) get all the time. But then I took it a step further and formulated it so now it also helps reduce and prevent stretch marks AND helps slightly with cellulite. 

Here is what you need...

1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup dried calendula petals




Mix together in a small pot and turn the stove on VERY LOW. You do not want to kill any of the good stuff, you just want to infuse the oil. If little bubbles appear it means you have it on too high. Anyway, simmer for at least one hour. Usually I turn the heat off at that point and then let it sit overnight. 



Alternatively, you can mix them together in a mason jar, seal tightly and allow to sit in the sun for a week or two. I just am always in a hurry and need it NOW. Haha. 

So after you've let those two infuse, strain the calendula off and discard. 


My little handheld strainer works perfectly. Otherwise you could use a coffee filter, towel, etc. 

Then time to add the little gems...



I use:

1/4 tsp. Vitamin E
20 drops of Lemon essential oil
15 drops of Lavender essential oil
15 drops of Tangerine essential oil (or Mandarin)
10 drops of Carrot seed essential oil (optional)

Seal with a lid, swirl it around gently to mix it all up, and store away from the sun. It should have a pretty long shelf life since olive oil is pretty stable and the vitamin E is also a stabilizer. 

I use mine after showering every morning and apply it to my legs, belly, thighs and breasts. I figure, hey! I'm all about prevention. I will let you know if I get stretch marks someday. :) 

I for sure know that it works for razor burn!

Why it Works

Calendula) Anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, stimulates production of collagen (keeps skin elastic).

Olive Oil) Contains oleic acid which softens skin and minimizes scarring, also contains Vitamins A and E which are antioxidants and help to repair cells and prevent cellular damage.

Vitamin E) Added to stabilize shelf life and simply add a bit more of this amazing stuff. Fights free radicals, boosts collagen, encourages cell growth.

Lavender) Anti-inflammatory, soothing, stimulates cell regeneration, prevents and heals stretch marks.

Tangerine) Has regenerative properties and is known to help prevent and heal stretch marks.

Lemon) Stimulating and draining with lymphatic properties which helps to disperse cellulite.

Carrot Seed) Soothing, helps with itching and dryness. Rejuvenating and reduces scarring. 

**This oil could also be used to soothe an irritated baby bum. Just leave out all the essential oils and use the olive oil, calendula and vitamin E. A little Lavender would be okay, but any of the other oils are NOT suitable for a baby.

***Also, because this contains citrus oils, do not expose your skin to the sun for several hours after applying. Citrus oils enhance photosensitivity.

Enjoy!



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




2 comments:

  1. Any of your amazing concoctions good for varicose veins that someone may have had for, oh, about 30 years now? Not troublesome, just unsightly...

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shall be my next challenge! A varicose vein concoction! Keep after me, though...I tend to forget these things!

      Delete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)