Monday, October 29, 2012

Coasters


So my friend Sarah and I are planning on getting in as many craft days as we possibly can before James and I move in the spring. A few weekends ago, while James was in Las Vegas at the Mine Expo we got together for our very first craft night and this is what we created. 


Awesome coasters:




Sarah bought plain tiles at Menards for, I think 11 cents. Again. A totally cheap project which blows my mind. Then we just ripped up paper, Mod-Podged it on, let it dry and then sprayed it with a waterproof sealant. They turned out really cute! At least we think our quirky little tile coasters are pretty great. :)

You will need:

  1. Plain tiles from a hardware store
  2. Paper you love
  3. Mod-Podge
  4. Waterproof sealant
  5. Paintbrush
  6. Felt
  7. e900 (or something similar)

Step by step here is what we did:

  • Rip up any type of paper in small pieces. We did notice that magazine paper bubbles a bit because it's so think. Thicker is probably better. Cardstock worked great.
  • Make a mock up of where you want the paper to lay on your tiles.
  • Apply Mod-Podge with a paintbrush to the back of your paper one piece at a time. Paint each piece and apply to the tile right away.
  • After all your paper is in place and where you permanently want it, apply Mod-Podge to the entire tile. Both of us tried to cover the edges with the paper which gave it a more finished look. 
  • Let it dry over night.
  • Take your tiles outside and spray them with a waterproof sealant.
  • Lastly, to prevent scratches on your tables, cut felt just slightly smaller than the tile and glue in place with e900 (or whatever glue you prefer). Probably let it dry outside...that stuff stinks, man! 
  • Make some chai tea, sit back and admire your new beauties. :)



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)