Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mystic Chai: Black tea


Eek! This is a very hard recipe for me to share...only because it's literally taken me years to create this masterpiece! At least I feel it's a masterpiece. :) Chai tea is definitely one of those "acquired taste" things. I did not like it the first time I tried it...but a couple years later I totally fell in love with it. Now I drink it pretty much every day. 


Mystic Chai

6 Tbs. bulk black tea (I use Assam Black)
30 cardamom pods
3 cinnamon sticks
3 tsp. pink peppercorn (black would also work)
3 Tbs. dried rose petals
2 whole nutmeg
2 tsp. whole cloves
2 tsp. dried ginger root


Measure out your tea in a small to medium sized bowl.

Then using a mortar and pestle (hopefully you have one...otherwise maybe using a rolling pin with the spices in a bag???) slightly crush the cardamom. Just a little. Basically enough to crack open the shells. Dump them in with the black tea. 

Do that with the cinnamon sticks as well...just crush them a bit better! Takes some serious pounding but it's kinda fun. I always end up having pieces of cinnamon flying everywhere. 


I crush the cinnamon smaller than what's in this picture.

Next, crush the nutmeg. I love this one. Smells so amazing! Nutmeg are so cool on the inside! 


Again, crush them better than in this picture. The reason you use whole spices instead of the powdered ones is simply so you don't have "stuff" in your tea. I don't know about you but I really don't like sludge in my tea. And trust me. That's how I originally made this stuff. Nasty! :)

Okay, after the nutmeg, pretty much just throw the rest of it together and stir well! Store in a glass jar out of the sun. Now it's ready to go whenever you're craving some chai. 

To make ICED CHAI:

I use a quart mason jar, put in 1 rounded Tablespoon of the chai, add hot water and let sit on the counter for several hours, or overnight. I usually make it ahead of time and then store it in the fridge. Whatever works for you! Then using a handheld strainer I just pour the chai right from the mason jar into my glass.  I use a touch of stevia or honey to sweeten it, a dash of milk and lots of ice cubes! 


To make HOT CHAI:

Use a handheld strainer and place over a coffee mug. Dump in one heaping teaspoon of the chai (more if you like it really strong...) pour boiling water over the top and allow it to steep for a few minutes. Remove strainer, discard the chai, sweeten and add a splash of milk! Mmmm mmmm goooooood!

Keep in mind that since these are "hard" spices, you can re-use them at least once. Definitely a money-saver. 

Here are some different way I drink my Chai. 



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


1 comment:

  1. I will just wait until Christmas.......lol!

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)