Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pumpkin Drink

Haha, not sure what to call this thing! It's not a Pumpkin Latte' cuz there is no coffee in it...it's not eggnog...but almost...hmm. For now it's been dubbed "Pumpkin Drink". Let me know if you come up with something waaaaay more creative! 



1 cup pumpkin puree (I make mine)
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 chunks of candied ginger (or fresh ginger I'm sure would work...or ground if you don't mind all the "floaties")  :)
1-2 cinnamon sticks (mine were huge so I just broke one in half)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (I added this later because the cinnamon sticks weren't quite doing it for me...) 


To give you an idea how big the candied ginger is

Mix everything together in a saucepan and slowly simmer for 15-30 minutes. I know, I know, those are terrible directions...but basically I just let mine simmer for quite awhile until it tasted good. I wanted to infuse all the flavors! 

Simmering away!


Scoop out the ginger and cinnamon sticks. Discard. Pour into mugs. Top with either whipped cream or try something totally exotic and make the coconut milk whipped cream that is below. 


Now here's the thing about this drink. It's unique! I made it because I wanted a warm fall drink without adding acidic coffee. Something to enjoy in the evening that wouldn't counteract my hard work of eating healthy all day. I think this is a pretty good solution for that! Next time I will try using almond milk which will make it way more alkaline. 

Serve this with some homemade coconut whipping cream and you have a pretty delicious winter drink that will make you all sleepy-like for bed. 

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin Spice-nog
    Pumpkinog
    Pumpkin Spice Delight

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally love Pumpkinog! I think it's official. ;)

      Delete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)