Thursday, October 11, 2012

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

I'm on a Raspberry Leaf Tea kick! I've officially been drinking it every day for the last few months and have no intention of stopping. Mostly I'm drinking it because I feel very strongly about having a healthy body BEFORE getting pregnant and this is one easy way to do that. But it also would be good just to drink because it's so chock full of nutrients! 

And since we're on the pregnancy topic...I just have to say congratulations to my sister Rebecca!!!! She just announced that she was pregnant on Sunday. Yay for babies! :) 

I make raspberry leaf tea in a quart jar. My mom was super lovely and picked me a whole ton of them this summer from her garden. Totally free, totally organic and totally my way of doing things! My directions for making tea come from my other sister, Deb, who has 4 kids and is an expert tea maker. :) She told me she takes a small handful of dried raspberry leaves, crunches 'em up a bit, tosses 'em in the jar, covers with water and lets it sit for awhile! Basically the amount should roughly cover the bottom of the jar.

I went ahead and measured the amount I crunch up and it came out to be about 2-3 Tbs. 

My other little trick is to add two tea bags of green tea as well, just for another little boost of nutrition. After letting mine sit on the counter over night I then sweeten it with a little stevia and whatever I don't drink right away I put in the fridge. Generally a one quart jar lasts me two days. I take a big glass of it to work with me every day. Personally I drink mine iced, but you can definitely drink it hot if you prefer. I just like to be able to semi make it ahead of time. 


Here is my quickly diminishing jar of raspberry leaves. Thankfully 
I still have another bag in reserve. :)




That's about how many leaves I put in. Probably looks 
like more than it is since the water had a little time
to plump the leaves up.


Basically, because of the nutrients in red raspberry leaves, the tea helps prepare your body for pregnancy, delivery and even after the delivery. It is soothing and toning to the stomach which helps with morning sickness and diarrhea. By strengthening and toning the uterus it can help the birthing process work more efficiently and after birth, due to its astringent properties helps to stop the bleeding quicker. 

Here is a list of some of the vitamins and minerals this amazing herb is high in:

  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin E
  • Calcium
  • Chromium
  • Fiber
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Manganese
  • Thiamine (B1)
  • Riboflavin (B2)
  • Niacin (B3)
  • Pectin
  • Selenium
  • Zinc

Those aren't all the nutrients, either, but it gives you an idea of how important this herb is to a mother-to-be. 

Cheers to new life! God is amazing.


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




1 comment:

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)