Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Vodka Tinctures

So my mother, always the one to ask "why" (in a good way) asked me if there was a particular reason for using vodka in my tinctures. I honestly didn't have a real answer for her other than knowing that vodka extends the shelf life...so you can make large batches of it without worrying about it going bad. Well! I did me some research and found out some more reasons to use vodka...


  1. Vodka is generally used because it is colorless, odorless and (fairly) tasteless.
  2. Vodka is extremely effective in breaking down and extracting all the vital compounds from the herbs releasing them into the vodka.
  3. Vodka extends the life of a tincture for at least 5 years. Some sources say 10. Pretty sure 5 is good enough for me!
  4. Vodka keeps the nutrients from the herb in a stable and soluble form.
  5. Tinctures made from vodka are readily absorbed into the system...and as one source stated "Where does alcohol go? Straight to the liver...taking all those nutrients with it!"
Those seem to be the main reasons for using vodka...I will tell ya that I'm LOVING my elderberry tincture made with vodka! Works like a charm...

Keep in mind, though, that you can use a 50/50 glycerin/water combo instead of the alcohol if you would prefer, or if giving to children or a pregnant woman. 

Also! Whenever making a tincture be sure to use a glass jar. Never plastic. Glass ensures that the nutrients aren't leaching into the container. 

Last but not least, most tinctures take about 6 weeks to successfully extract all the nutrients from the herbs, but if you are in desperate need, you can begin using it after 2 weeks. 

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


1 comment:

  1. Hey! I FINALLY figured out how to post from my phone on here. I think this attempt is number 6. Lol. Anyhow, very interesting read about the vodka tinctures.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)