Friday, November 23, 2012

Best Black Beans

This recipe is the only one I ever use for making black beans. My sister originally gave me this recipe and since then I have passed it on to so many people. When I told her that her beans are becoming very famous she laughed and couldn't believe it because they are so simple! 

You can tweak the spices to your own taste. I generally add more cumin because I love it so much. These are great to make in big batches and freeze to have on hand in a pinch.


Ingredients:

Print recipe here

  • 1 cup dry black beans
  • 1 chopped onion (sometimes when I’m in a hurry I use minced onions)
  • 4-5 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons cumin
  • cayenne pepper (optional)

1) Rinse and sort beans.
2) Soak beans over night in fresh water.
3) Drain beans and dump them into a crock pot.
4) Cover the beans with water so there is about 1” of water above them. (You can use the water they were soaking in as long as you rinsed them well to begin with.
5) Add the remaining ingredients with the beans and water. Mix together.
6) Cover and cook on low until done. About 8 hours. They are pretty forgiving and I have left them in longer. Just check the water level to make sure they don't burn.

I use these beans to stretch my hamburger in things like taco salad, tacos, etc. Plus I add them to cheese quesadillas to boost nutrition and nachos as well. Or you can eat them in bean and rice burritos. So yummy! :)


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



1 comment:

  1. This is a very excellent recipe (slightly different from the original one I got from your sister, lol). We had it last night for supper and everyone loved it. I added a few sauteed peppers and half a jar of canned tomatoes, then served it over Minnesota wild rice. Yum yum.

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)