Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sugar Hairspray



I have a very crazy recipe to share with you...which makes me feel like a total hippie so don't judge me...homemade hairspray!!!! 

But frankly, I like it. Took a little getting used to (like all homemade products) but the more I use it the more I like it. Plus, seriously. Can you get any cheaper?? Love that part. 



Ingredients:

1 cup water
1 Tbs. dried rosemary
4 tsp. sugar
10-20 drops essential oil (optional but I like Tangerine)
20 drops of grapefruit seed extract 

Directions:

Bring the water and rosemary to a boil over medium heat. Remove from stove and let it steep for about 15 minutes. Strain and discard herbs. Stir in the sugar and mix until dissolved. Allow this to cool completely before mixing in the essential oils and grapefruit seed extract. Pour the mixture into a very fine mist spray bottle. 


My lovely brew. :)

 
A few thoughts:
  • I add the rosemary because it is a herb known to be very beneficial for the hair. You can omit this if you wish, or substitute another herb. For example:
    • Using chamomile on the hair is said to add blonde highlights.
    • Using sage helps to darken the hair.
    • Or maybe try lavender for a lovely scent.
  • The trick to getting this hairspray to work is first, a fine mist spray bottle and second don't use too much! Your hair will become a sticky mess otherwise. You don't need much for it to work. Usually I allow it to dry for a few seconds before styling. That helps with the sticky feeling. But it's really not bad.
  • The grapefruit seed extract acts as a preservative. Not sure what the shelf life is, because I make a new batch every month or so and it lasts just fine. You could substitute vitamin e if you wish.
  • I only add the tangerine essential oil to make it smell a little better. However, keep in mind that all citrus oils attract the sun, so adding it could possibly cause some mild bleaching on your hair. I have never had an issue with this, because the amount is so minute but I thought I'd throw it out there. Feel free to substitute whatever scent you like! 

Now go hipp-ify yourself and make some hairspray!!!

Update: Check out my latest version of hairspray here.



Bethany
|


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)