Monday, December 3, 2012

Nettle Leaf


Urtica dioica


Properties:

  • Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Potassium
  • Iron
  • Chlorophyll
  • Chromium
  • Selenium
  • Amino Acids
  • Iodine
  • Zinc
  • Vitamins A, B, C, E and K
  • Protein
  • Flavonoids
  • Trace Minerals
  • Boron
  • Serotonin
  • Histamine

Helps With:

Cleans and detoxifies the body as a diuretic.

Eliminates waste from the body.

Encourages proper kidney function.

It's astringent property helps to stop bleeding wounds and nose bleeds.

The antiinflammatory property and histamine in nettles help combat allergies such as hay fever, asthma, itchy skin and also insect bites.

The high content of iron helps with anemia.

Encourages milk production in nursing women.

Works as a blood purifier.

Due to all the vitamins and minerals nettles encourage and help hair growth and prevents hair loss. 

Helps eliminate uric acid from joints and is very alkalizing which helps to ease arthritis, rheumatism, gout and tendonitis. 

Nettles have been found to help treat Alzheimer's and also short term memory loss. 

Helps and prevents osteoporosis thanks to the high content of Boron which helps to retain calcium in the bones. 

Great for pregnant women as all the minerals help to build a healthy baby and also eases pain during labor. 

Nettles contain serotonin which is a neurotransmitter that discourages anxiety and depression. 

Getting More Nettles:
  • Drink nettle leaf tea
  • Make a nettle leaf tincture 
  • Eat steamed nettles...not sure I will ever do this, but I'm sure it's extremely healthy!
  • Use fresh or dried nettles to make soup broth (love this idea)

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!





2 comments:

  1. We ate steamed nettles long long ago, when we lived in SD. We had met up with a homeschooling family before we moved to MT, so you must have been maybe 4 years old. Anyway, she was a real homesteader type like you and gathered fresh nettles and served them to us. As I recall they weren't too bad. Strangely, all the sting goes out of them when they are cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?? I had no idea I've eaten cooked nettles. In my mind I imagine they would taste like cooked spinach and we all know how much I love cooked spinach... :) Except that nettles are even healthier!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)