Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blueberry Crisp


Little ol' piggy me...I just grabbed my pan of blueberry crisp out of the fridge, grabbed a fork and dug in. Yup that's right. No plate. Right out of the pan. So delicious. I decided I should keep this recipe and post it since apparently I so thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

I'm trying to clean out our freezer before the big move to Alaska. That includes a ton of wild raspberries and blueberries we picked in Northern Minnesota. I honestly felt "wasteful" using so many berries in this recipe. I consider blueberries one of the sacred foods I must hoard because you-never-know-when-I might-have-so-many again. Haha. Maybe I should just learn to enjoy these foods when we have them...like now. 

Blueberry Crisp

4 cups frozen blueberries 
1/4 cup sucanat (original recipe called for 1/2 cup. My berries are sweet so I cut it down)
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt

Topping:

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted (maybe a little more...I didn't exactly measure...sorry...)
1/2 cup sucanat 

Mix together the first group of ingredients, coating the berries with all the "goodies". Dump into an ungreased 8x8 pan. In a small bowl mix together the topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the berry mixture. Bake at 375* for about an hour. Check it after 45 minutes just to be safe. It's done when it's bubbling in the center and brown on top. Allow to cool slightly before serving. But...pretty sure it's also very delicious for a decadent breakfast...or snack...or pretty much whenever. :)

*You can use white or brown sugar in place of the sucanat. 


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



2 comments:

  1. Sucanat is just evaporated cane juice sugar, right? So I could use Bob's Red Mill? I've been lazily procrastinating searching out a healthier alternative to processed sugars for the yummy baked goods I've been working on at home. Can you do a post on how to sub healthy foods for processed? Baked goods are different when you use brown vs. white sugar, so if you're using sucanat, how does it change the flavor? I'm SO CURIOUS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you like to test me, eh?? :) I'm just learning about sucanat myself! But yes, it is just evaporated cane juice which basically means it's "healthier" because some of the nutrients are still in tact. The only taste difference is that it's more like brown sugar. In how it cooks and tastes when baked. Meaning I notice that my cookies are a darker brown when I use sucanat. But I personally love the taste. These two websites have a little info: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/the-most-nutritious-sweeteners and http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2011/08/10/a-sweet-sweet-summer-unrefined-dehydrated-whole-cane-sugar-sucanat-rapadura-panela-and-muscovado/.
    Hope that helps a little!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)