Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hummus


Super duper easy homemade hummus recipe! And...it contains no tahini for those of you like me, who frankly doesn't even know where to buy tahini. I've looked everywhere and can't find the stuff. If you really love the stuff go ahead and add a few teaspoons in. I 'spose I could grind some sesame seeds in my coffee grinder...nah. I'm going without. 

If you want a not-so-easy hummus recipe, but an even more economical version, feel free to soak and cook your own garbanzo beans. When I want hummus, I want hummus...instant gratification ya know. So I just have a few cans of Eden Organic Garbanzo beans on hand when I get in the hippie hummus mood. :)

Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans
2 minced garlic cloves
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or onion)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water (or the liquid from the bean can)
1-2 tsp. cumin (I love cumin so I put in 2)
1/8 tsp. cayenne if you want spicy
or black pepper if you prefer (or both for some real kick!)

Place everything in the blender but start with 1/4 cup water and continue adding until it reaches a nice creamy consistency. 

Mmmm mmm good! 

Our favorite variations:

  • Mix in either 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
  • OR 1/4 cup pine nuts



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Elijah's sooooo allergic to tahini (sesame seed paste), so this is fabulous! Thanks! And here are a few more exclamation points for good measure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)