Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Witch Hazel Extract and Toner


So ya know that bottle of witch hazel at walmart that looks like water? Well I used to use it all the time and found it pretty helpful as a toner for my face. But I got to thinking "Now how come it's CLEAR? Do they bleach it? And...I bet I can make it way better myself." So I did! And it's AMAZING. And super duper easy. I am not lying when I say my face has been the clearest it's been in forever since using this as a toner on my face. I'm totally in love with it. 

Witch Hazel Extract

4 oz. witch hazel bark
2 cups vodka

Basically it's like the homemade elderberry extract...pour the vodka over the dried herb, placing it in a glass jar and covering tightly. Allow it to sit in a dark place for 2-4 weeks. I poured mine off in 2 weeks and that was perfect. Remember to shake it every so often. 


When it's time to pour it off, I use an old towel or t-shirt, placing it in a bowl and then dumping all the herb into it and then squeezing all the "juice" out. This works great and ensures you don't get any pieces of the herb in your extract. 



Witch Hazel Toner

Now it's really challenging to make the toner once you've made the extract...or not. Haha. Seriously. Just add 50% water and you have your toner! I don't use the extract straight because that would be extremely drying on the skin. Depending on your skin type you could try changing the proportions if you would like. Keep in mind the alcohol will dry your skin out, though! I just love it and find it so soothing...and it doesn't dry my skin out a bit especially since I apply my homemade face oil immediately after the toner. 

Personally I put mine in a fine mist spray bottle. That way it's really easy to apply to a cotton ball and plus I feel I don't use as much versus pouring it on. 

I use it both in the morning and evening. 

Cheers for healthy vibrant skin!



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)