Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste

Update: Since this is now a permanent fixture in my life, I feel more confident about sharing my personal and original recipe. I have tweaked it to fit my own needs. This is still a great recipe, I just prefer mine to have fewer steps. Recipe can be found here.


Yes, I realize this looks like a little snail...

Truth be told, I may be just slightly more excited about this endeavor then about the Witch Hazel Extract...just slightly. Only because I feel the health benefits may be more significant. Now, this was not my original idea so I want to give credit where it belongs. 

See the original article from the Bulk Herb Store:

Bentonite Clay Toothpaste  

And for you visual learners a video from Shoshanna:



How I made mine:

I made the toothpaste similar to the video, although I halved the recipe. I also added peppermint essential oil which I love.

If you halve the recipe like I did, watch your water while boiling the cinnamon! I was only able to boil it for about 15 minutes because the water evaporated so fast. I would recommend simmering it for 20 minutes then if it doesn't look like any evaporated turn the heat up a notch. 

You will need:
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 tsp. stevia herb
  • 3/4 cup cinnamon sticks
  • 2 Tbs. whole cloves
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. celtic or Real Salt
  • 3/4-1 cup bentonite clay powder
  • 10-20 drops peppermint essential oil

Mix the first four ingredients in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.While that’s heating, mix 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt and set aside.

Next place 1 cup of Bentonite Clay into a glass bowl. Note: it is important to use a glass bowl and wooden spoon because when the Bentonite Clay gets wet, it sets up an electromagnetic reaction which will absorb the particles inside of a metal bowl, or the toxins out of a plastic one.

Remove the pan from the heat, strain off the herbs keeping the liquid in a glass bowl. Pour in the salt and baking soda mixture. It will foam and bubble which is just the baking soda reacting to the herbs. Pour this mixture in the bowl of bentonite clay and mix hard! Eventually you will get a smooth paste.
 Continue adding the remains of bentonite clay until the desired consistency is reached. Lastly mix in the essential oil if you choose to use it. Store in your desired container.

**Keep in mind that since cinnamon is such a hard herb you can use it again!!! It seems like a lot of herb is going to waste, but simply dry it out and save it for your next batch.

A half of a recipe made what looked like about 3/4 a tube of toothpaste. That's my guess anyway.

My thoughts:
Ha! And yes, I totally realize what this little blob resembles.
All in the name of natural health and beauty, people! :)


I really truly like this toothpaste. However...this was a journey for me. I first started by switching to a natural brand of toothpaste that didn't contain fluoride or sodium lauryl sulfate. Then I started reading that just because it's natural doesn't mean it's all good for you.
 (I really should know that by now...but I'm too trusting!) For instance, I've read in several different places that glycerin actually "coats" your teeth and prevents minerals from getting to them. This whole idea of making my own toothpaste started when I started hearing about "re-mineralizing" your teeth. Apparently many people have had success with their teeth becoming stronger, whiter, and healthier by using similar ingredients to this recipe (or this same recipe.) It makes sense to me! You are basically feeding your teeth with this stuff. And maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I'm thinking my teeth are already looking whiter...

But back to my journey...so after using Nature's Gate toothpaste for awhile, I found a product called Earthpaste. It just so happened I got a free tube of it so I tried it out! First time I used it...totally hated it. It didn't foam, it looked nasty, and it left a clay like taste in my mouth afterwards. I didn't try it again for several weeks until I ran out of my other stuff. Since I couldn't waste it, I tried it again. And kinda liked it...then I liked it...and now I love it! I realized that the clay taste disappeared after a minute or two so no biggy. As for the foaming thing...you get used to that. :)

And that's what led me to making my own! To tell you the truth, my homemade stuff doesn't leave a clay taste which is nice...it's quite salty actually. 

Here's what I plan on doing differently next time I make it:

-Add more Peppermint essential oil
-Possibly add some Myrrh essential oil
-Instead of using real cinnamon and cloves, I want to try using essential oils. I think it will be cheaper and easier. Then I will just use plain water for the liquid and my homemade stevia extract for the sweetener. 

Let me know if you try this stuff and what you think!!!! And remember, if you order your stuff through this link from the Bulk Herb Store you will help me earn a small percentage which helps me keep this blog going. Thank you!
 

I would highly recommend getting a tube like
this! I found mine at my health food store for

 under $2. Works awesome!!!! 
Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)