Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fairbanks Saga 1

Well we made it safely up to Fairbanks! But both James and I agree on a few things: We don't want to see the inside of his truck for at least a week. We sure hope we won't have to drive that long again. Ever. AND...boy are we glad we didn't have any kids with us! I think we both feel like a freight train hit us. Head colds and sinus infections on the drive up didn't help. 

Okay, but negativity and sarcasm aside...it was a beautiful drive. Especially the last 2 days. 

I don't really have any crazy stories to share, cuz thankfully everything went quite smoothly. But here's a quick run-down of the highlights:

~I now know where Dr. Seuss got his inspiration for those crazy trees in his books! Canada! I'm not even kidding. I call them the Dr. Seuss trees. They are the craziest looking things ever. Made me laugh every time we drove by them. :)


FYI--I am terrible at taking pictures in a moving vehicle. This is
the best shot I have of my Dr. Seuss trees!


~Once you hit Northern Canada in May be prepared to see frozen lakes and rivers. It was a weird feeling considering we had just come from 97 degrees in Montana. 


Frozen Lake in Canada

This is Lake Muncho. Crazy beautiful.
Had the most beautiful greenish color
.


~All in all on our drive up we saw 3 foxes, 4 bears. 4 moose, 2 deer, 2 stone sheep, tons of bison, AND...15 birds that ended their lives on our truck. Pretty disturbing. I dubbed it Suicide Lane for Birds. 

*Point in case for my terrible camera taking skills in a moving car:


Here we have a Moose butt...


Can you find the Stone Sheep butt??


Guess what? A Bison butt!!


My favorite! A BABY BISON BUTT!!! :)


And ya can't forget the most exotic...BEAR BUTT!!! 
Oh wait...sorry guys...that's a Buddy butt. Haha. 


~There are more business opportunities than one would know what to do with along the Alcan Highway. All one needs is a fix-it-up-mentality and the willingness to live in the middle of nowhere! :) (In other words we saw tons of abandoned gas stations, lodges, houses, etc.)

~People stop to help in the middle of nowhere. We came across a pretty bad accident just minutes after it had happened and there were already several men helping to pry a man out of the car. When the nearest ambulance is over an hour away, that's how it works. 

~And just for your viewing pleasure here are the Rocky Mountains near Fairbanks. 






Hope you enjoyed the pictures! I look forward to sharing more stories with you soon!


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, beautiful pictures (LOVE the mountains, butts were good too, lol), and your humor. :)

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad here: Amazing pics and comments BUT whats with those bison tails? I have never seen such long bison tails?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth, so happy you mentioned your blog...I'll be keeping in touch w/you both and your adventures in AK... wishing I was there as well... Marilyn Linn

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)