Monday, May 27, 2013

Female Tincture


Ach! I've been wanting to post this forever...before I lose the slip of paper it's written down on. Miraculously it survived the move, so before I tempt fate any further here is the tincture I make for myself with herbs I feel my body needs. If you want more details about HOW to make a tincture check this post out. I currently use the vodka version, however you could use any of the other methods I mention. In the mornings with breakfast I take about 1 teaspoon in a small glass of water. 

In a quart mason jar combine the following: (measurements are not exact...I tend to go heavy on the herbs, but some places will tell you to fill the jar only 1/3 full. Mine ends up being about 1/2 full.) 

1/2 cup dried ginkgo leaves
1/2 cup eleuthero root
1/2 cup bilberry leaves
1/3 cup milk thistle seeds
1/3 cup oatstraw
1/2 cup nettle leaves
1/3 cup horsetail

Cover the herbs with an 80 to 100% proof vodka. (I use 80%) Cover with a tight fitting lid, give it a little shake-a-shake-a, and let it sit for 2-6 weeks just depending on how patient you are! I prefer to let it sit for 6 weeks just to ensure I get all the goodness out of the herbs, but sometimes I don't plan ahead well enough and I need it sooner. 

Make sure to store the mixture while it brews in a dark cupboard. Shaking it occasionally helps to agitate and encourage the release of the herbs' compounds. During the first week you might want to add a little more vodka cuz the herbs will soak it up leaving a little more room in the jar. 

After you let it sit, strain the vodka off (I use old towels) and store in a dark jar out of the sun. Label and use! 


I order all of my bulk herbs from here:

Great selection of bulk herbs, books, and remedies. Articles, Research Aids and much more.


Here's a brief run-down of why I have added these herbs to my tincture:


  • Ginkgo
    • Feeds the brain and helps with memory
    • Helps eyesight
    • Stimulates circulation
    • Anti-inflammatory
  • Eleuthero Root
    • Stimulates resistance to stress and acts as a general tonic
    • Is an adaptogen
    • Boosts the immune system
    • Increases energy
    • Helps with the memory
    • Fights depression
  • Bilberry
    • Anti-aging
    • Helps with eyesight
    • Increases circulation to the brain
    • Reduces inflammation and pain
    • Relieves muscle spasms (PMS)
    • Helps with varicose veins
    • Prevents free radical damaga
  • Milk Thistle
    • Heals and protects the liver
    • Anti-depressant
    • Anti-aging
  • Oatstraw
    • Tonic for the nervous system
    • High in calcium and magnesium
    • Aids digestion
  • Nettle
    • High in calcium, potassium, silicic acid, iron and vitamin c
    • High in flavonoids
    • Encourages waste elimination
    • Helps kidney function
    • Detoxifies and cleanses
    • Encourages hair growth
    • Acts as a blood purifier
    • High in chlorophyll
  • Horsetail
    • Repairs connective tissue
    • Great for hair and nails
    • High in calcium
    • Good for the eyes and ears
    • Aids the kidneys

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)