Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Burlap Flowers

Funny how your opinion changes as you get older. When I was little I really disliked burlap. I remember my mom had some and I thought it was really dumb and pointless. For one, the texture really bothered me. Stiff and dry which made me cringe.


Bring it up to the 21st century and now I love it! The smell, the touch, the taste, oh wait. How about just the looks. 

I was going through a little burlap fetish and even made tons of burlap flowers to put in flower arrangements at work. Oh happy day how fun that was! Getting paid for making burlap flowers. Seriously. I was living the dream.


 Another little love I'm currently harboring is my love of buttons. Now those little gems I've loved since I was little. My mom had a big ol' cookie tin of them and I spent hours sorting through them, organizing them and even talking to them. (Don't laugh. You would have too. They're awesome!) PLUS my Grama used to play Button Button Who's Got the Button. Which is an awesome game. 

Buttons are expensive, though if you buy them new. Check out antique shops for cheap(er) ones. I bought 2 jars of them (that's one in the picture) for around $6 a piece. Someday my own children will be sorting and counting buttons. Yay!

Put burlap and buttons together and you have one heck of a party. Let me show you how I prominently display them in my home. :)


Ahem. Apparently my mirror needs cleaning. But isn't it sweet? I bought it at a Farmer's Market several years ago. Took a pretty penny but it was worth it. I hope someday I can find more like it because, well, I would like more. 

Anyway



That's what I did with buttons and burlap! I used to have all silk flowers in those flower pots, but I'm not really a fan of silk so this made me so happy when I finally put this together. 

Here is how I made mine:


You will need:

Strips of burlap one inch wide by about 40-45 inches long
Buttons
Floral wire--I used 22 gauge
Corsage tape






First, prep your buttons buttons by inserting the wire. I use
one wire for the 2-holed buttons and 2 wires for the 4-holed ones.
Don't twist them. Just insert. It works best if you fold the wire in half,
then just poke the ends through the holes. 


Then take your burlap and fold it like an accordion. The folds should
end up being about 4 inches long or slightly less. 


Here it is all folded up. Don't worry about where the ends land
up or if you get little flyaways. That's what
gives these babies character!

Next, take your buttons and wire and pinch the wired ends together
Insert them in the middle of your folded accordion and
work the wire all the way through..
Basically just wiggle the wires around and push down
until it pokes through.

Here's the backside with the wire pushed through. Then just
go ahead and twist the wires together a little bit so it
stays in place. Flip it over and gently fan out the folds
to make your flower! To finish,
tape it off with the corsage tape and voila!

You have a lovely burlap flower. :) Feel free to tuck in those
wild strands around the button to make little loops,
trim them or leave on--whatever makes you happy!

There are other burlap flowers, like roses, that you can make as well, but these are by far my favorite. And so much easier than the rose ones. Let me know how it goes for you!

Hmm...now what else can I create with burlap and buttons??


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)