Saturday, July 20, 2013

Dishwasher Detergent


Update: I am no longer endorsing this product. Haha. Unfortunately, remember the part about me including things I make that DON'T work on my blog? Yea, well this seems to be one of those things. At first it seemed to do just fine, but now I'm getting a white residue on my dishes again. GRR! Any suggestions? If not, I will be experimenting in my kitchen some more today...

Back in South Dakota we had an extremely finnicky dishwasher. It was only a couple years old, too. Here we have an ancient dishwasher and it cleans way better! Once in awhile it won't drain properly, but that's not really a big deal. 

I had attempted this recipe before, but because of the horrible water in South Dakota and the bad dishwasher it didn't work too well. Sigh. But never fear! I just had to try it again because I couldn't stand using the little packets of chemicals. Plus they cost so dang much! 

Well pretty sure this is working for me this time. Oh that makes me so happy. 

If you want to give it a try here's the recipe:

Dishwasher Detergent

1 C. Borax
1 C. Washing Soda
1/2 C. Citric acid
1/2 C. Salt


Mix together really well. It tends to harden, I think because of the citric acid, so it helps to put a little cloth bag/sock/whatever of rice in it to soak up the moisture.  


Fill soap dispensers as usual. I also use white vinegar in my rinse cycle thing-a-ma-jig instead of a chemical rinse-aid. 

Cheers to saving money and healthy dishwashing detergent! :)


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!






5 comments:

  1. Interesting about the vinegar in the rinse dispenser. I've been using Basic H (which I love, btw!), but might give the vinegar a try just cuz it would also help keep the hard water buildup to a minimum (maybe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you put the Basic H in the rinse dispenser? Or in the soap compartment??

      Delete
    2. I put mine in the rinse-aid dispenser. I'm not sure how much dispenses and I think next time I will mix my Basic H half and half with water, as it is so concentrated.

      Delete
  2. I use vinegar every load; if I don't, my dishes come out dirty and spotty. Bethany, where do you buy citric acid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard some people can find it in their grocery store by the canning stuff but I've never seen it there. I either buy mine from my local health food store in bulk (only in a pinch) but I recently started buying it from vitacost since it's alot cheaper. A little over $6 for a pound of it.

      Delete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)