Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Elderberry Syrup

And...just like the laundry soap I have a new elderberry recipe to share! My sister, Deborah, turned me on to this idea. After a little tweaking and adding some more goodies it's my new favorite!

I have now been making this one faithfully instead of the vodka one for several reasons. One being, vodka is a little more expensive up here in Alaska. And two being, since we are hoping to get pregnant I'm eliminating any alcohol that doesn't need to be in my life. Not that there's a lot of alcohol in a tablespoon of 80 proof vodka. But ya know. :)

This has worked beautifully for me. I have not had any cold sores since being on this one (two months now going on a third!) And James and I both have avoided getting sick by using it. I plan on making up about a hundred gallons of it before flu season! 

Elderberry Syrup

1/2 cup dried elderberries
4 Tbs. rose hips (optional if you don't have these...)
2 cinnamon sticks
20 cloves
2 cups water
1 cup raw honey


On low heat simmer all of the herbs together with just the water. I prefer to do this with a lid just because I feel that the good stuff doesn't escape that way. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes. Once the liquid is reduced by about half, strain the herbs off. You can use either a fine mesh strainer or a towel (old t-shirt) and rubberband. Discard the herbs and stir in the raw honey. Doing it this way allows all the nutrients in the honey to stay alive.




For added oomph: Add in about 4 Tbs. of echinacea with the other herbs. 


I'm sure I will continue to switch this up a bit, just depending on my mood, but this is going to be my new "base" recipe. I think adding some dried ginger root might be a good one to try.

Oh, dosage for this stuff...gosh I just take this stuff in a little water whenever I feel I need it. I probably dump anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon in the glass at a time. Sometimes I take it every hour for a few hours, sometimes once a day is all I need. For James since he's at work, if he's feeling sick I will pour maybe about 1/4 a cup in a water bottle for him to sip on. 

HOWEVER, if this is your first time taking it I would start out on the lower end. More like 1/2-1 tsp. and see how your body responds. You can always take more!

Cheers to your health!


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



4 comments:

  1. I have some really cute pictures of your kids getting fed the elderberry syrup...I should send them to you. Love that they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep this in the fridge, right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correct-a-mondo! I probably should put that in the instructions...and that is why I need people like you to remind me of such details. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)