Monday, July 22, 2013

Salmon, Moose and Glaciers, Oh My! Part 1


For some reason, I always get a little intimidated to write posts that have a lot of pictures. I really have no idea why that is. But anyhow! I have some pretty sweet ones for your eye candy today. :) Jk.

James and I were able to go out salmon fishing last weekend! The goal was/is to get as much salmon for the winter as possible. Unfortunately we didn't get as much as we were hoping, but we still got quite a bit and for that I am thankful. 

Now I did not grow up fishing so this has all been an adjustment for me. One of two very traumatic childhood dinners involved fish. Basically I refused to eat cuz it smelled, looked and tasted nasty. (Sorry Mom.) My parents, therefore, told me I would go to bed hungry. Man was I happy. Haha...and I just knew my sister would bring me some of her onion ring leftovers. 

She did.

Fast forward to my new life with a fisherman husband and here I am, fishing for, cooking and eating fish. Funny how life turns out. 

The drive down to the river where the salmon were "doin' their thing" aka spawning, laying eggs and dying (yea don't think too hard...creeps me out...) was absolutely gorgeous.



Every few minutes I just swooned. Basically our conversation down there went something like this. 

"Ah! Look at those beautiful mountains!" 

"Oh my gosh look over there!"

"Holy cow did you see that little waterfall??"

"No, but check out that mountain!"

And then my favorite..."JAMES IT'S A MOOSE!!!!" I do it every time. I really honestly try not to yell but it just never gets old. Thank the LORD my husband is a calm man and we have not gotten into an accident because of my loud mouth.

It was awesome. Be prepared that if you come visit us, this is the drive we will take you on. :)

All right, so basically we get to the campground which is packed with people. After all, it's Alaska, and after all, it's salmon season. Get your salmon while ya can! 


So THIS was a little traumatic for me...but apparently you clobber
the fish on the head to kill it. Yes, I did do it once. 

James and I were totally intimidated at first because people are aggressive fishing for salmon! Holy cow. They literally tag teamed it so they wouldn't lose their spot on the river. (People were fishing 30 feet away from each other in the "good" spots.) So you'd have one person in the river, and another on shore. When the one in the river got a fish, they'd haul it to shore and pass it along to their buddy so they could get right back out there before they lost their spot. 

This is not a joke. It was crazy!


This makes me laugh cuz it looks like a little dolphin with its flipper.

Now the only bad part about the weekend was our dog, who is normally a very well-behaved dog. But I think with all the excitement, and people and fish, he was over-stimulated like a one year old child. In other words, he would get pretty hysterical if James and I both tried fishing. Which meant only one of us could go at a time. Which meant James went and I stayed with Buddy. 

Once I got used to the idea, I enjoyed myself reading and playing Rock Fetch with the dog. (See video at the end.)




In the end, I caught one salmon and 3 other little fishies called graylings. Or something. James caught 9 salmon and "snagged" numerous other ones. Which means he hooked them somewhere other than in the mouth and had to throw them back. 



So there's me and my salmon. Pretty unbelievably terrible picture. I really was hamming it up for the picture. Honest. 

All in all I'd say it was a pretty successful fish! We've eaten our salmon twice now and I did not go to bed hungry. Me likey! 

That's all you get for now. See me next time for the moose and glaciers! After all, I have to have something enticing to keep you coming back. :)



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. I think I've said this before, haven't I? Anyway, keep 'em coming. Enjoy every one. Your video of Buddy was so funny. He's apparently not yet used to Alaska and salmon fishing.
    I don't know if you hear from Wendy, but she saw this post before I did and told us last night that she really enjoyed reading it.
    Love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! It's amazing the interesting tidbits of earlier years that I learn through your blog, lol. Onion rings, huh??

    That Buddy sure is a talented dog, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)