Monday, August 5, 2013

Coffee Bean Extract

It all started with homemade vanilla extract and stevia extract. And now I'm doing a little experiment to see how many other kinds of extracts I can make. 

This has been on my To Do list for awhile but just haven't focused enough to start. Finally I was pushed into it when I ran out of almond extract. We've been going through it like crazy because my husband is in love with my homemade almond poppyseed bread. Buying a little bottle of it at the store cost me six bucks. Six bucks, people! 

So. I started a batch of almond extract which will hopefully be ready by the time I run out of the store bought stuff. In the meantime I started on my list of other extracts to try. Coffee bean extract just sounded fun. What the heck I'm going to do with it I have no idea. But hey. I'm sure I can stick it in some brownies or biscotti and make something delicious! 

Coffee bean extract doesn't take as long as the other extracts, which is why I'm starting with this one. It was done in two weeks! Actually it may have been done sooner but I sorta kinda forgot about it. Oops.

So it's super complicated and you might not want to attempt it because of how potentially frustrating it might be.

Or not. Here we go.

You need:

4 Tbs. of coffee beans 
1 cup of vodka

Pour into a glass jar. Cover tightly. Shake occasionally . Or not. I forgot to. Check after 7 days if you remember. I just tasted it after 2 weeks and pretty sure it tasted exactly like coffee bean extract should taste. Deliciousness!

I did read that with this extract you don't want it to sit too long or it could become bitter. Which is unlike most other extracts which only get stronger and yummier with time.

That's it! Now I just need to find something to put it in. Any suggestions??



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!






2 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely! I'm hoping some coffee extract in my smoothie might be close to a frappaccino...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Great idea...you'll have to let me know how that turns out!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)