Friday, August 23, 2013

Ginger Root

Zingiber officinalis

Properties:

  • Digestive
  • Stomachic
  • Warming/soothing
  • Muscle relaxant
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antiseptic
  • Stimulant
  • Antioxidant
  • Antiviral
  • Expectorant

Helps With:

Ginger is probably the number one most recognized herb for helping fight nausea. From morning sickness, to the flu bug, to food poisoning. This is due to its muscle relaxant, soothing, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Even nausea from chemotherapy can be eased with the use of ginger.

As an expectorant ginger helps with respiratory problems such as coughs and even asthma.

Ginger works as a stimulant on the circulatory system which helps to alleviate poor circulation, high blood pressure and reducing fevers (causes the body to sweat).

Certain people may benefit from ginger to help get rid of a migraine due to its anti-inflammatory property.

Ginger aids in digestion.

Use ginger to help ease other inflamed conditions such as arthritis.

Ginger dissolves parasites and their eggs.


Tidbits:

Gingerbread originates from the ancient Greeks. After a large meal they would eat a piece of fresh ginger wrapped in a slice of bread.

The Europeans invented ginger ale by sprinkling ginger on their beer.

Try growing ginger in your house! Break off a piece of fresh ginger and plant it in cactus soil. Water occasionally to keep the soil slightly moist. Whenever you need some fresh ginger, simply dig up the root, cut off what you need and replant. The ginger will continue to grow. 

Ginger is widely available fresh, dried and minced, powdered and candied.

Getting More Ginger:


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany... am giving this a try again... let me know if it comes through...

    I use ginger alot... love it.. I use it when my tummy is unhappy and it's a great thing to have available... have you tried growing the ginger? that would be interesting... I wonder why one digs up the root, why not just cut a piece off the top, or is the whole root buried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn! So glad you tried again..it came through. :) I hope my "tweaking" is finally working! I have not yet tried growing the ginger root because I need to purchase the soil first. I have a couple pieces all ready to plant, though. In my understanding, the entire root is under ground. I would guess that eventually you might get little shoots of the plant coming up out of the dirt, but the part we use is all underground. But I'll let you know for sure once I try it!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)