Thursday, August 15, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste--With Essential Oils

All right, folks! I'm loving the homemade toothpaste business. I have really missed it these last few months. I ran out right before moving and decided not to make anymore until we were settled. We are settled and I'm back in business!

So originally when I posted this (read the original toothpaste recipe here) I had a few tweaks I wanted to try and by golly I've tried them. And I'm happy to report that I love them. Not to mention that it makes the process a whole lot quicker! 

Basically the difference between the original recipe and mine is I'm using essential oils versus the actual spices. This cuts down on the time involved which I love. 

Original recipe versus my recipe:
  • Takes less time!
  • You don't have to dry and store the cinnamon sticks for future use
  • Not sure health wise how the two compare. I personally feel the essential oils have the same constituents that the spices do, but I'm not an expert.
  • Cost wise--I have no idea. But cinnamon sticks aren't cheap!

So without further ado.

Oh wait. I have a further ado. 

Ado: Before starting remember not to use any metal or plastic during this recipe. Bentonite clay pulls and absorbs metals and toxins out of your body, so you don't want it absorbing metal or toxins from your spoon or bowl into itself and having that be in your toothpaste. Wooden spoons and glass bowls work great. :)




Homemade Toothpaste:

  • 1 Tbs. baking soda (mild abrasive to remove plaque)
  • 1 tsp. Real Salt (antibacterial)
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • Stevia extract, to taste (10 drops or so) (sweetener)
  • 1 - 2 cups bentonite clay (balances pH, re-mineralizes)
  • 10 drops clove essential oil (antiseptic & analgesic)
  • 12 drops cinnamon essential oil (antiseptic & antimicrobial)
  • 20 drop peppermint essential oil (antiseptic, analgesic, deodorizing)
  • 7 drops myrrh essential oil (antiinflammatory, antimicrobial, antiseptic)

Mix the baking soda and salt together in a small glass bowl. Pour in the water and stevia and stir till combined. It may foam a little due to the baking soda reacting. 

 Now get your muscles ready. Add 1 cup of the clay. Mix and mix and mix until there are no lumps. Add more clay little by little if it's too moist. Keep in mind, though, that it does continue to thicken once you store it. Sometimes I end up adding a little water to the bottle later and mixing it in if it gets too thick. This is not so much a science but a personal preference.




After you get that mixture nice and smooth add in your essential oils. I tend to prefer lots of essential oils but if you are making this for the first time or have kids using this, you might want to reduce the amount. You can always add more later!!!

Once you get those mixed in well, scoop it into your bottle and get ready to be blown away. Joke. Or to be grossed out by the un-foaminess and weird gray color. I never said homemade beauty products were perfect. :) Give it some time. I think you will learn to love it! Took me some time, but now I miss it when I run out and don't make more right away. It happens.

And here's to those pearly whites!


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




2 comments:

  1. We've been using the other toothpaste recipe for several months and the kids love it. This recipe saves so much TIME which is wonderful! Thank you! I'm making this recipe for the first time today and plan to use half the amounts of essential oils than you use because of how sensitive my kids are to "spicy." Thanks for a time-saving and healthy recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad the kiddos are used to it now...there's a good testimonial right there. ;) I love using the essential oils...so much quicker!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)