Thursday, August 29, 2013

Peppermint Extract


My collection of homemade extracts is growing! Finally poured off the peppermint extract today. It could have been done sooner, but that's what I love about these things; if you don't have time, generally speaking, it's okay to make them wait!

I really like how the peppermint extract turned out. Maybe could have used a little more peppermint for some added strength, but ya live and ya learn. I had no recipe to go by on this one so it was a total shot in the dark. Next time I will try 1/3 cup of peppermint. But really, all you have to do with this is add a few more drops and the strength is just dandy.

Plus, ya know what makes this really super cool?? It's not just a flavoring...this stuff is actually giving you some healthy nutrients from the peppermint leaves! Like its tummy soothing properties. 

Love. It.

Peppermint Extract

1/4 cup dried peppermint (up it to 1/3 for a little stronger)
1 cup vodka

Pour into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. A pint mason jar works perfect. Shake it all up, label it and set it aside for 4-6 weeks. If you remember, shake it up occasionally. 

After the 4-6 weeks, get a fine mesh strainer (or an old t-shirt works, too) and strain the peppermint leaves out. Store in a glass jar and have fun concocting deliciousness with your homemade peppermint extract!

You get bonus points for growing and harvesting your own peppermint. I, however, didn't have a garden at the time so bought mine from The Bulk Herb Store. If you so choose to order from this link I'd greatly appreciate it...I get a small commission of your total order. Thanks!

So ya wanna know how I tested to see if this stuff was delicious or disgusting??? I made myself a cup of iced coffee and put a dropperful of the extract in it. Um yea. Peppermint iced coffee. I'd give it a ten. So yummy. Definitely will be doing that alot. And how about hot chocolate in the winter?? Or making homemade ice cream and turning it into peppermint chip? 

Your turn! Tell me what you will do with your peppermint extract. 



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)