Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Raspberry Rhubarb Sauce


Mama mia it's rhubarb season! My lovely rhubarb plants are doing fabulous and I've harvested twice now. Until now I've only made rhubarb leather, but today I decided to be a bit more creative. 

James has been talking alot about angel food cake and I realized that I've never made him one! Bad wifey. So when I went grocery shopping last time I picked up an extra carton of eggs just to make him his very own not-from-a-box angel food cake. 

Last night when he came in he was ecstatic about his cake. 



I was just super glad it turned out! I think the last time I made one of these babies was back in highschool. Eek!

I've had a recipe for making a rhubarb sauce for awhile now and decided this was the perfect time to try it out. Instead of using all rhubarb, however, I decided to use some of the wild Alaskan raspberries since James isn't overly fond of rhubarb.

Turned out amazing! And for the record, it tastes more like raspberry than rhubarb. 



Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rhubarb, diced
  • 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar

Directions:


Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat on high until the sugar is dissolved. Mix in the fruit. Stir until the whole mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 or until the fruit looks nice and broken down. Remove from heat and strain the juice off. Discard fruit, or make something with the lovely puree! It's pretty tasty to just eat...



...That's it! You now have a lovely raspberry rhubarb sauce. It tastes delicious on the angel food cake, but would also be good on ice cream. Or pancakes. Or whatever your creative imagination can come up with.  You could easily switch out either of the fruits for pretty much anything I would think. Strawberry. Blueberry. Whatever-berry-floats-your-boat-kinda-thing.





Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany,
    I picked a grocery bag full of rhubarb today and also picked almost a quart of raspberries. I think I'll try your recipe for rhubarb/raspberry sauce. It sounds like it's very tasty.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! I'm making some homemade ice cream with the leftover egg yolks from the angel food cake so we'll see how it is over ice cream. :)

      Delete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)