Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Raw Strawberry Chia Seed Jam


If you haven't already jumped on this bandwagon, it's time, people! Not at all sure who first came up with this ingenious idea but I'm hooked. I tried a couple different versions out there on Pinterest, but ended up using a combination of a couple, thus creating my own. Or at least to my knowledge. I'm sure somewhere out there someone makes this already. 

I will do a post at some point on chia seeds. But for now, just know they are good for you! So not only are you getting the goodness of the raw strawberries, but you are getting the added kick of chia seeds. The reason this jam works is because chia seeds naturally gel when mixed with liquid. This creates a perfect consistency for jam instead of using pectin. 


 Now I like my jam pretty thick. And that's where I changed the recipes a bit. They just weren't thick enough for me. But this one is awesome. 


Raw Strawberry Chia Seed Jam:
Print recipe here

You will need:
  • 1.5 quarts of strawberries 
  • 3 Tbs. honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice (or vanilla extract)
  • 4 Tbs. chia seeds
Place the hulled strawberries in your blender. Pulse for several seconds, or until the puree is to your liking. Some like chunkier jam, others like it smooth. I like pretty middle of the road. 

Once it's ready, scrape the puree out into a bowl. It should equal about 3 cups. Then simply stir in the remaining ingredients! Pour into your desired containers, tightly screw on the lids and place in the refrigerator overnight to gel. 

After that I store mine in the freezer and we use it directly from there. I kinda like a cold jam. :) If you don't like it frozen, you can take one jar out at a time in the fridge and use it from there. Not sure how long the shelf life is in the fridge, but I've read it's somewhere between 7-14 days. Hence why I freeze mine. Two little ol' people can't eat that much jam. Well. James maybe could. If I let him. 



Enjoy your delicious addicting jam!

*Update: If you would rather can this, it is possible! I decided to can the most recent batch I made due to limited freezer space. Worked like a charm!

Here's what you do:


Fill a water bath canner 3/4 full of water. Bring to a boil. 


Meanwhile, wash and dry canning jars, lids and rings in hot soapy water. Place the lids and rings in a pot of water on the stove. Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat, leaving the lids and rings in the water. 


Make your jam and allow it to set up and gel for about 15 minutes. Fill your dry canning jars with the jam, leaving about 1/4 inch head space. Screw on a lid (shake off the water first). 


Once you've filled all your jars, place them on the elevated rack of the canner and lower gently into the boiling water. Cover and bring the water back up to a gentle boil. 


Process for 10 minutes. Carefully lift the jars out of the water and allow them to cool. Once they are cool, you can test the lids to ensure they sealed properly. If the lids spring back up, they are not sealed and you will need to store in the fridge. Otherwise the rest are good to store on a shelf! 


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




1 comment:

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)