Thursday, August 22, 2013

Walnut Pesto


A really weird thing has happened up here in Alaska. Someone stole all the pine nuts!

Seriously! I can't find them anywhere. All the bulk bins are empty, Sam's Club is out, and the grocery store shelves are empty. Except for in the baking aisle, where you can buy a teensy little bag for over $6 bucks. Yea I don't think so, people. 

Of course that put me in a pickle because I grew basil specifically to make pesto. What the heck! Obviously I know you aren't TOO mystified about what I substituted instead since it's in the title. But I thought I'd try. :)

If you are having the same problem of acquiring pine nuts, or if they are just too expensive, or if you're adventurous, or if you don't like pine nuts or whatever. Here's your solution!

Walnut Pesto.
Print recipe here

  • 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil
  • 3-4 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper 
  • 2/3 cup olive oil


Dump it all into your blender or food processor and whiz away! Hopefully you have a better blender than I do. I'm saving up for a nice blender cuz mine does a terrible job. Making pesto should be a cinch, but it's a challenge with mine since it's old and not sharp anymore.  

But it got the job done eventually.

Once it's smooth and creamy-like, you can freeze it in ice cube trays like so:



Once they are frozen, simply pop them out and store in a ziploc bag. Then all you have to do is pop one or two into a recipe and call it good. It works so slick. And did I mention that walnut pesto is pretty doggone good? Maybe a 9. Pesto with pine nuts is a 10. But walnuts do a pretty good job. I'll keep 'em around. Especially because of how healthy they are.

Oh, and after all the fuss about having tons of basil. Yea. My basil mostly died. So then I had all these walnuts and no basil. Oh happy day, the Farmer's Market to the rescue! And now my freezer is happy and full of pesto. Soon my belly will be too.

The end. :)



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




4 comments:

  1. Love this recipe. It's how I started with my own homemade pesto last year (cuz I couldn't find pine nuts). I did read somewhere that if you freeze your pesto, don't put in the Parmesan cheese. Rather, add it when you've thawed the pesto for your use. Our favorite around here is pesto pizza! Yum. No more pizza sauce for us. And last night I tried it on a grilled steak and that was awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, I think I read that somewhere, too, about the parmesan and that was a little detail that annoyed me. Haha only because I very rarely buy parmesan. So I've always stick it in...and it seems to be fine! I wonder why that is. Do you know??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently it's a matter of preference. The original site I read it at said that the cheese doesn't freeze well, which really doesn't make sense as I freeze Parmesan all the time! I made this year's batch without the Parmesan, though, just because I had so much to freeze, I thought it would help save freezer space, lol. And I do like to put fresh Parmesan on stuff when cooking anyhow. So there you go -- do whatever you like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to write about this....when comparing with other recipes, and after having used this on pizza numerous times (our new favorite and now only way to make pizza!!), it seems that there is more olive oil in this recipe than I prefer. I will be cutting it down in the future.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)