Friday, August 2, 2013

Wild Raspberry

Confession: raspberries seem to be the one berry I can't resist eating while I'm picking them. Blueberries and cloudberries I can leave alone. But man oh man. A good fresh wild raspberry is another story.



Took me a little while to find a spot that had lots of wild raspberries. Most places just had a few bushes. But my searching paid off cuz there's a ton of them and it's super close to my house. What a deal. Today we (me and the dog) went for an hour and a half and came back with I'd say, about half a gallon. Not too shabby! 

The only slightly disturbing part is the little bitty worms on the raspberries. Um. Nasty. I realize it's a little extra protein...but I'd rather do without thank you very much!

I read somewhere that soaking berries in a vinegar/water solution is a great way to clean them so that's what I've been doing. I was hoping that would detach the little critters. Maybe it helped a little but I still had to pick some off. Any suggestions??




Disgusting side apart, the wild raspberries are pretty big up here! Some of them are the size of garden raspberries. Big beautiful luscious balls of juicy redness. Haha. 



For James' birthday I used a few of the fresh raspberries and made a spiked raspberry lemonade. Now I very rarely like drinking alcohol. I just don't like the taste...but this was pretty stinkin' amazing! Honestly, I'm sure a virgin one would be just as delicious. But it was fun for a special birthday drink. 

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!




5 comments:

  1. Bethany, try using Basic H in the water when you wash the raspberries. It is a great bug killer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried it...killed the little buggers. Yay that makes me so happy!!!

      Delete
  2. Ditto to the Basic H. About 1/4 tsp. in the sink with your water and fruit/vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! So.....you may need to do a post someday about the benefits of Basic H, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)