Monday, September 16, 2013

Make Your Own Almond Flour & Almond Milk


I am going to blow your mind at how simple it is to make almond flour and almond milk. Seriously. If you are trying to eat healthier and starting to replace almond flour with regular flour, and almond milk with regular milk, than you know how expensive those both can be! It's so worth it to make your own.

Now to be honest, I don't really make the almond milk on a regular basis because I drink milk very rarely anyway and my hubs is super stuck on cows milk. 

But the almond flour on the other hand I make all the time and use it probably about 50% of the time I bake. The other 50% is split between using a whole wheat sourdough starter and just plain whole wheat.

To learn about the health benefits of almonds read this article.

Almond Flour:

To make almond flour, I use a coffee grinder that is specifically for non-coffee purposes. You could also use a food processor or a really good blender if you have one. The coffee grinder works well for me, although there are usually still a few small chunks but I don't mind that in baked goods. 

I buy almonds in bulk at Sam's Club which makes using almond flour a heck of alot more affordable. And healthy. Buying almond flour at the store could very easily result in rancid flour because you have no idea how long its been sitting on the shelf. Plus, they use blanched almonds and I believe in eating the skins since that is where alot of the nutrients are. 

So here ya go. Super complicated. 

1) Place almonds in device of choice.


Skins on, please! They contain vital nutrients!



2) Grind almonds. Boom. You're done. Crazy easy. I just make it when I need it. No need to make ahead since it's so simple.



All ground up!


If you continue to grind the flour further, the oils will heat up and you will get almond butter. So there ya go. Another thing you can make! 


NOTE: One cup of whole almonds equals roughly one cup of almond flour. 


Almond Milk

You will need:

1/2 cup of raw whole almonds
2 cups of water.

1) If you have a really powerful blender you can skip this step. But I first grind the almonds in my coffee maker to make a flour.


2) Then dumped them into the blender along with the water like so...






3) Turn it on and blend for about 1 minute. It gets nice and frothy and milky looking! Imagine that! :)


It looks edible...eek!

4) Then simply strain it off! I would recommend using a coffee filter or cloth so you don't have any funky particles. Especially if you are texture person. The strainer worked okay but not ideal.




Like I said, I don't make this very often, but it really is a simple process. I should use it more in baking.

Oh, and this was a little thick for my liking, so feel free to dilute it with a little water if you wish. Totally depends on how you like your milk! Whole, 2%, or skim. JK. 

And there you have it! Three things to do with almonds to enhance your baking/eating needs.


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!





2 comments:

  1. I see why squeezing them never worked.
    Almond milk and butter- so simple!
    The cow will not be happy about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Oh my gosh this is the greatest comment and picture ever. Yea, maybe don't tell the cow.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)