Thursday, September 5, 2013

Nutmeg

Myristica fragrans

Properties:

  • Anti-cancerous
  • Aphrodisiac
  • Anti-convulsant
  • Carminative
  • Calming/warming
  • Anti-aging

Helps With:

The anti-cancerous properties in nutmeg have been shown to kill leukemia cells.

Externally, nutmeg inhibits elastase which is an enzyme that breaks down elastin (protein fibers that keep the skin taut and youthful.)

Also externally, it helps protect the skin from UVB rays.

In small doses nutmeg is calming and warming which can help with insomnia, anxiety and depression.

Apparently nutmeg is known to be an aphrodisiac.

As a carminative nutmeg helps to relieve bloating and gas. It is also helpful in treating diarrhea, nausea and easing digestion.

Tidbits:

Caution: In excess, nutmeg is a known stimulant and hallucinogenic. Two whole nutmegs have been shown to be toxic. 

Of course, it is the most flavorful and beneficial to use fresh ground nutmeg if at all possible. 

Getting More Nutmeg:
  • Sprinkle on hot cocoa or coffee
  • Use it in baking cookies and cakes
  • Add a little extra pinch to pumpkin pie
  • Add it to soups
  • Make a lovely chai tea


Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)