Monday, September 9, 2013

Raw Super Immune Fruit Leather


Do you wanna take your fruit leather to the next level??! I mean, next level, People! We are talking health-packed nutrient-dense wad of fruit. It's like a vitamin in a chewy sticky treat. Say buh bye colds and flues and hello yumminess! 

What's that? You are so super excited like me and just want the recipe already?? You got it, Toots. 

P.S. This is going to blow your mind. 

But.

The ingredients will seem a little weird. Just warning ya. In all honesty...it's the best fruit leather I've made yet! Even my husband loves it and asked me to make more. 

Ingredients:

1 cup cranberries (I used wild, but any will do)
1 cup blueberries
2 Tbs. powdered nettle leaf
2 Tbs. elderberry syrup
Pinch of stevia

Throw everything into your blender and mix 'er up! I only had cut and sifted nettles, but putting them in the blender with everything else seemed to work fine. If your mixture is too thick add a little water. 

Spread the puree onto parchment paper or saran wrap. (The microwave safe kind.) About 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Place in the dehydrator at 130* for about 6-8 hours. Definitely works best if you can peel them up and flip at least once. Drying time will vary depending on how wet your puree was and how thick you spread the mixture. One time mine took about 12 hours. Yikes.


**I know first hand that parchment paper and saran wrap both work in the dehydrator. Do NOT use wax paper. I ruined a couple fruit leathers in a test run. Don't try this at home.


It will end in tears.

Someday I really want to get some of those special inserts made especially for fruit leather. Until then, parchment paper is my friend. (Saran wrap kinda freaks me out...)

If you don't have a dehydrator you can make fruit leather in your oven. I have not personally tried this but many other people have.

For conventional ovens:

Heat your oven to 170*. Spread the puree on a parchment or saran wrap lined cookie sheet. Same as above, about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Then let it cook in there for about 3 hours. Rotate your pan about halfway through. 

Once they are done, peel off the paper, cut into strips and wrap them in saran wrap, wax paper, eat them, freeze them, whatever makes you happy. 

And do a little happy dance at your super duper healthy snack. 

Oh yea. I'm sure you know this, but feel free to swap out different kinds of berries! I even used cloudberries for one batch as you can tell from the picture. The cran/blueberry were our favorite, though. 

If you are a berry hoarder like I am, use any type of fruit that is a little overripe. Make peach leather, or apple leather from applesauce is awesome. 

Just another one of those recipes that are simply full of possibilities. 



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!





5 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany, I made fruit leather when I lived in TX,,, just put it out in the sun to dry!!
    On another topic...I'm gathering that you own a dehydrator... I'm looking into buying one also, what brand do you have? and are you satisfied w/it?

    Another topic: are you going to try making moose jerky while you are up in AK? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you dried it in the sun. I've never tried it that way. Probably because we have a dog and he might eat it. Haha. Yes, I have a dehydrator that my oldest sister gave me. I LOVE IT. It's an Excalibur. I've been using it a ton up here. I've never used another brand so I can't really compare for you, though, but I'm pretty sure the Excalibur's are a very popular brand. Sadly I don't know if we will be able to make moose jerky. We won't be considered residents for a full year, so moose hunting would be really expensive for us right now. By the time we become residents we will be moving again so having a whole moose might be silly. But who knows. James might just do it for the kicks and giggles...I guess I could dehydrate the whole thing and take it with us. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or share it with your mommy and daddy, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now isn't that just a simply beautiful picture? You are a great photographer! You also liked home-dried fruit leather back when you were a much younger kid than you are now and I made those things. You just might get me motivated to make a batch. Sounds yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks, Mama! And yup, I remember the apple leather very well. Didn't last long. And you tried hoarding it for car trips. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)