Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rhubarb Bread

I harvested another batch of rhubarb two weeks ago. Love this stuff cuz it just keeps growing! But I'm pretty sure it will be done now, cuz we got our first snow today!!!! More on that later...

I've been using alot of our rhubarb in a bread that is healthy enough for breakfast. James' breakfast has to be something he can take with him since he wakes up too early to be hungry for breakfast. 

I have forced him, er, lovingly guided him, into eating breakfast. He now takes it with him and eats it at work. Makes me so happy.

 That's why you see so many recipes for quick breads and muffins on my blog...they are pretty much my standard for breakfast. It's also why I do alot of baking with almond flour, so we get some protein in our bread! (Among other reasons...)

This recipe does not have almond flour in it, but it does have a few other special ingredients.



Rhubarb Bread

Print recipe here

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup sucanat 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 cup flax seeds, ground up
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced very small
  • Cinnamon, to sprinkle on top


I keep it pretty simple and mix up all my dry ingredients first, then add in all the wet ones. Mix 'er up really good and call it a day! Oh, don't forget to add in the rhubarb last. And sprinkle some cinnamon on top for good measure.


Well, AND I guess you gotta bake 'em. Heat the oven to 350* and pour into a greased bread pan. I personally use 3 mini loaves. Just because they're cute.


Bake for 30-35 minutes, for the mini loaves. Longer for a full sized pan. I'm thinking 45-50 minutes?? Not totally sure since I haven't done it that way. 

Allow them to cool and then remove from the pans. I store mine in the fridge because I think it tastes good as a cold bread. 

Time for me to go play in some snow! And probably find some more appropriate recipes to share...haha.



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)