Monday, September 30, 2013

Rock Mat



Me and rocks get along pretty great. Which is a good thing since I married a mining engineer. He brings rocks home in his pant pockets like a little boy. 

I love my man. :)

Anyway. Here is a super cool project to make just in time for all the winter snow and mud and dirt and such. This house actually has a little entryway which I'm totally loving! I'm turning it into a mud room to accommodate all our winter gear with (hopefully) minimum snow and mud getting tracked into the rest of the house. 

Ya know what makes renting fun?? Finding random junk left from the last tenant. Like this welcome mat that definitely does NOT look welcoming.



Ya know what makes renting not fun?? Having to clean up AFTER the last renter...

Well instead of using this sorry looking mat as is, I decided to finally make that lovely rock mat I've seen on Pinterest.

Here's what you'll need:

Mat
Rocks (buy or gather your own)
Glue (I used Craft Arte Goop which is related to E6000)



I flipped the mat over so I was glueing on a smooth surface, not the ribbed side.

And then seriously. Just glue. Glue like crazy, man! Probably glue somewhere in a well ventilated area. A garage is a good idea.

That glue stinks.



In the end, to fully cover my mat which measured 16 X 26 inches I used 2 tubes of glue, (which I squeezed every precious last drop out of!) 4 bags of rocks that I bought and about another 2 bags worth of rocks I gathered. 

I'm really happy with how well this glue has held so far. I've read that some folks have used hot glue...but I'm not sure that would stay stuck once it gets cold and wet.

Disclaimer: This project is not for the faint of heart!! I nearly sprained my thumb from squeezing the glue so hard. Haha, either that or opening a jar of salsa...

...I know. My life is rough. 

But truthfully. I love my mat. It took probably a good 2 hours to glue on those rocks, though!! That was a long sitting session for someone who gets bored of any given project in about an hour. 

But I persevered.

I'm so proud of myself.

And my mat.

I think I might go stare at it for awhile.

Cuz it's so pretty and all.

Okay. I'm done now. 

Maybe those glue fumes got to me.

:)





Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!


3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I'll take one! I'll add it to my list of projects to do during 40 below days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha funny. Didn't really think of that. But yea, I'm pretty sure it's waterproof...it better be or I will cry! I'll get back to you in about a month... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want "free" rocks there's a great place down here by the river...wish I would have thought of that sooner before I bought the 4 bags. BUT at least they were on sale! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)