Monday, September 2, 2013

Vintage Fall Wreath With Burlap


Really weird confession for ya: I'm not really a wreath lover. Honestly I think most wreaths just look tacky. And yet, here I am doing a tutorial on wreaths. In my defense it was out of desperation for more fall decor that was rustic looking, cheap and easy. This is what was born.

So because I'm a florist I look at wreaths with a critical eye and I think the reason most of them look "off" to me is because...they are! There is this fine balance in wreath making. They have to look full, but not cluttered. They have to move in an eye pleasing way (circular more or less). They have to be uniform but interesting at the same time, and all the mechanics must be hidden. Plus I'm really picky with colors. I'm a very neutral kinda gal. 

Not that you couldn't tell from my blog or anything.

Did I achieve all that? I hope so! I've only made a few wreaths in my life...all of them for other people. So I am far from an expert wreath maker. But this one makes me happy. Rustic, cute and simple. My kind of style.  

Supplies:

  • Grapevine wreath
  • Burlap flowers
  • Dried wheat
  • Raffia
  • Long strip of burlap about 3" in width
  • Flat push pin
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Wire cutter
  • Flat nosed pliers

Your first step is to make however many burlap flowers you choose. I chose 7. An odd number is usually best. 

Once you get them made, I clipped off the wire really short and bent it over with the pliers. 





Next I made two small bunches with the wheat. One is slightly larger than the other. You can secure them with scraps of wire or raffia. I did both just to make sure it was secure. The raffia is to hide the wire. 





Then I made a small bow with the raffia. 

I cut the stems of the wheat relatively short, maybe leaving about 4 inches. With the leftover stems from the larger wheat bunch, I made a little bundle and tied those on each end with wire and raffia.





Once everything was prepped, I made a mock up of where I wanted it all to be placed. That was probably the most time consuming part for me. Originally I had made only 5 burlap flowers, but later decided that was not quite enough.

When everything is where you want it, remove one piece at a time and hot glue it in place. Remember to cover all your mechanics and get rid of any crazy glue strings!


Once everything is all glued in place take your strip of burlap and loop it through the wreath. I think mine was like 2 1/2 feet long, but I ended up cutting it a little shorter. 

Take it to whatever door you want  it hung on, and using the push pin, secure it in place on the top of the door. Definitely needs to be a very flat push pin so the door will still shut. Almost thought mine wasn't gonna shut. Just needed a little extra shove. Shh. :)

If the burlap strip is a little too long, just pin it in place where you want it to hang, and then cut the tail off later.

Wallah! A lovely fall wreath.



Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)