Friday, October 11, 2013

Homemade Hand Sanitizer


Well I promised you more ways to use that thieves essential oil blend, so I will deliver! Click the link to learn more about this powerful blend and how to make your own.

I'm not exactly anti- or pro-hand sanitizer, although I know many people pick one extreme or the other.

Some reasons for being pro-hand sanitizer include: 

  • It kills all the germs!
  • Easy and convenient
  • Portable for places without water
  • Easy to use with kids 

Some reasons for being anti-hand sanitizer include:
  • Harsh chemicals in the sanitizer
  • Unpleasant fragrance
  • Growing research that hand sanitizer is another way we are building "super bugs" and the germs are becoming more and more powerful because of it.
  • Causes an imbalance in the pH of our skin 
  • Kills the good along with the bad guys.



So what's a person to do?? Probably hide under a rock.

But only after it's been sanitized.

JOKE!

I truly do believe that there is a fine balance between being too worried about germs and not worried enough. When we are too worried, we allow ourselves to become reliant upon things like hand sanitizers, hand wipes, etc. If we use them religiously we are doing ourselves a disservice because our immune systems need some germs in our lives to build up our resistance the natural way.  

On the flip side, if we don't have good hygiene we are just asking for trouble. I, for one, am super glad I didn't live during the Renaissance where they dumped their waste in the streets.

Yea. Dwell on that for a minute.

Or don't. :)

This homemade hand sanitizer does not contain alcohol or any harsh chemicals that will build up a resistance to germs. And yet it is powerful enough to kill all the bad guys. 

If you doubt me, think about just one of the ingredients for the thieves blend; cloves. Cloves essential oil is so powerful that it has been historically used to sanitize surgical instruments. 

I'm pretty sure if surgical instruments are clean, then so are my hands!

Not to mention it has a delicious smell, is portable and contains only a few ingredients.

Without further ado, here it is.

Homemade Hand Sanitizer

You will need:

Pour all ingredients into a small glass bowl and mix very well. It should turn slightly cloudy looking. Once it's all mixed up, scoop into your container of choice. 

Then simply use like you would any other hand sanitizer! Use a small dab and rub into your hands until dry. I always carry a small bottle in my purse. Sometimes I use it just because I love the smell and it makes me happy. :)

Learn more about grapefruit seed extract here.

Additional Information:
  • It is best to store anything with essential oils in glass containers. However, I have been known to ignore this rule and sometimes use plastic when it was more practical.
  • When you first apply this it will feel a bit sticky, but keep rubbing into your hands and it will dry and make your hands nice and soft.
  • Do use caution when using this on small children. While the concentration is not high enough to do great damage, it they rub their face before it is dry stinging can occur.
  • If you plan on being out in the sun for extended periods of time, you may want to leave out the lemon essential oil in the thieves blend because it can cause photo-sensitivity.
  • This is still not intended to replace soap, but it is a great alternative for when you are away from home. 
  • My favorite place to buy the aloe vera and essential oils is Mountain Rose Herbs. If you click through my link and purchase something, I earn a small percentage. Thank you for keeping my blog alive!

Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)