Monday, October 21, 2013

Lemon Extract

Yip yip! Another homemade extract to add to the collection. So far I've made:


You would think that with this ever growing lovely collection of extracts I would have some crazy recipes to go with them. Sadly I don't. The vanilla one I go through like crazy, of course, and the stevia one I use quite a bit too, but the other ones not so much. I think I forget about them. Or I'm intimidated. Yup that's it. Extracts are extremely intimidating. 

But seriously. If you have any delicious recipes using coffee, peppermint, or lemon extracts, let me know!!! If you give me some good ones I would even love to feature them on my blog. :)


Lemon Extract

1/4 cup fresh organic lemon peel (1-2 lemons)
1 cup vodka

Finely grate the lemon peel using only the yellow part and minimal white. When measuring, I only very lightly packed down the peel.

Place the lemon peel into a pint sized mason jar (or equivalent) and pour the vodka on top. Secure the lid tightly and give it a good shake.

Now set the jar in a cupboard out of the heat and light. Let it sit for about one month, shaking whenever you remember. Or never. Which is usually me. :) The month is somewhat lenient. I open my extracts and taste them every now and then to make sure they are brewing properly. Once it tastes lemony enough to you, it's done.

Once it's sat for about a month, get out a fine mesh strainer and pour off the liquid. Discard the peel and store the extract in a glass bottle out of the sunlight.

Now make something delicious and tell me all about it! :)







Bethany
|

Disclaimer:
In order to protect myself from people who might take any information I have written out of context or use it in any way I do not intend...I must say the following: I am NOT a doctor. I take no responsibility for what you do or not do with any information I have written. My opinions and writings should not take the place of a  doctor...consult one of those if you need medical advice. Pretty much...please use common sense and I strongly suggest you do your own research as well. It's empowering!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)