Monday, November 25, 2013

Fruit Hairspray


Not to make your life more complicated or anything, but I have a new hairspray recipe to share with you. This one simply involves cooking down either lemons, oranges or apples. Still quite easy.

I'm sharing this second version with you, because although I do like the sugar version, I feel this one is not as "sticky" plus it seems to hold the natural wave in my hair better. I've been able to wear my hair down more as a result. Hubby likes that. :)

I believe the reason this works is because in the process of cooking the fruit, natural pectin is released which acts as a holding agent. When I first read about this version I just assumed it worked because of the sugar found in fruit. But this makes much more sense!! 

Citrus fruits:

Do know that using the citrus version hairspray outside in the sun can cause a mild bleaching affect. This is because all citrus fruits are photosensitive. This is a good thing if you would like a few highlights in your hair! I've never really noticed much of an effect because my hair already naturally bleaches in the sun. I've also read that lemons tend to have MORE of a bleaching action than oranges. But I'm not totally sure if this is true or not.

Orange vs. lemon vs. apple:

Which fruit you use depends on:

  1. Which scent you prefer. Personally I like the orange one best.
  2. What type of hold you are looking for. The orange one seems to have just a tiny bit more hold. It's still very light, though. We are not going for my crazy stiff-as-board-look-when-I-was-twelve. Goodness no! 
  3. The apple is probably my second favorite. Plus, if you are out in the sun and would rather not have highlights, this is a good choice. 
Now on to the recipe!

Fruity Hairspray:

You will need:
  • 1 organic orange, lemon or apple
  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 20-30 drops of grapeseed extract (acts as a preservative see below)
  • 10 drops of essential oils for scent (my favorite is grapefruit but it's totally optional)
Cut your fruit into chunks leaving the peel on. Add them to a pot with the water in it. Bring to a boil and continue to boil the mixture until the liquid is reduced by about half. For fun I usually mash it around a bit to release all the good nutrients in the fruit. 

Using a fine mesh strainer, or a clean rag and rubberband, strain off the pulp. Stir in the grapeseed extract, but allow the liquid to cool before adding in the essential oils. 

Once cooled, pour into a fine mist spray bottle and spray away! It seems to work best if sprayed on slightly damp hair. (At least for me if I'm trying to get the wavy look...)

Additional Notes:
  • Using organic fruit is best since they won't have nasty chemicals on them that would otherwise be transferred to your hair.
  • Other recipes I've seen call for 2 tablespoons of vodka as the preservative instead of the grapefruit seed extract. I felt this would be drying to the hair, but feel free to use what you have! On the plus side, I'm sure it would help extend the shelf life, possibly even more than the grapefruit seed extract. 
  • Other options for preservatives could be vitamin e or rosemary essential oil. (Rosemary is super good for your hair as well as a preservative.) OR you could even add a little sugar in for a preservative along with a little extra hold. (Start with one teaspoon.)
  • If you are worried about it going bad, you can always store the extras in the fridge and refill as needed. Just know that as a natural product it won't last indefinitely. I tend to use it fast enough that it never goes bad on me. As a general rule, though, this has a rough shelf life of about 1 month. 
  • If you do add essential oils to your hairspray be sure to shake well before each use as oils do not mix with water.

Now go make a batch and let me know what you think! Your luscious locks will thank you. :)


Bethany
|


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)