Friday, December 13, 2013

Homemade Baking Powder


This has been on my radar to make for awhile and I finally finished up the last of my store bought baking powder. Let the experimenting begin! Actually I think other people have done the work because this seems to be a pretty universal recipe.

I'm not really "up" on all the negative associations with baking powder but I do know that there is some cause for concern. Namely because of possible aluminium in certain brands and also because corn starch is generally used as an anti-caking ingredient. It's highly probable that the corn used is GMO. 

So, if you would like to steer clear or if you just ran out and don't feel like running to the grocery store, here is a homemade baking powder recipe that does work.

Ingredients:
Print recipe here
  • 1/2 cup cream of tartar
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder

Measure everything right into the container you will be storing it in, secure the lid and give it a good shake to mix everything together. 

Store in a cool dry place.

Replace the "cup" with "tablespoon" if you wish to make a smaller batch. Or any other measurement.

Happy baking! 

Bethany
|

4 comments:

  1. I used to make this....should get back in the habit. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool I didn't know you used to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was REALLY exciting....thanks! (Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say...I like to live on the edge and try CRAZY things...like homemade baking powder. It's an exciting life I lead. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)