Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Kringle


Kringle as in "you're so delicious I want to marry you", kringle. Not Kris Kringle. Just wanted to clarify. 

I LOVE KRINGLE. (See why I wanted to clarify??) Joke.

Probably partially because it brings back warm and fuzzy memories of Christmas with my family. Specifically of my grandparents because for many Christmases they would bring us kringle from a little town in Wisconsin that is super famous for the most delicious kringle ever. I believe kringle is a Dutch thing which is funny since my family is full blooded German. 

So I eat Dutch food for Christmas. Oh well. 

Well this year we don't get to go home for Christmas, and as the nostalgia begins, I decided to attempt kringle. And by golly gee wiz it turned out really well! James inhales the stuff. I believe he even exclaimed in sheer delight "What??! You made something with only white flour?!" Yea. The man apparently has had white flour withdrawals since marrying me. Haha what a trooper. 

Without further ado, I give you kringle--just in time for Christmas. 

You will need:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream (yogurt works too)
  • Filling of your choice (below)

1) Cut the butter into the flour and powdered sugar till crumbly and mixed together. 

2) Blend in the sour cream.

3) Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

4) Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. 

5) On a floured surface roll each piece into a rectangle roughly 6 inches by 14 inches. 

6) Now you are going to "fringe" the edges of your rectangle (on the long sides). Do this by cutting little slits into the dough with a knife about 2 or so inches in. Maybe a little less. It's like making a tie blanket from dough. :)



7) Once all your little slits are cut, spread the filling in the center.

8) Next you are going to weave the dough over the top of the filling. Start by placing one strand on the filling and then switch to the other side, continuing till you reach the end.


9) Repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of dough.

10) Very carefully (I use a spatula) lift the kringle onto a baking sheet. If you wish, you can brush some egg white on top for a more glazed look.

11) Bake at 350* for about 30 minutes. Check after 20 so you don't over-bake it. It should turn a lovely golden brown.

12) Allow it to cool for a short time and then drizzle a powdered sugar glaze on top. 

13) Once it's completely cooled you can cut it into diagonal pieces and devour at will. Or eat it while still warm. That's good too. But honestly, I prefer them straight from the fridge.

Filling options: (All these make roughly enough for two kringle).

Pecan Filling:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 cup pecans or walnuts, choppped
Mix all together. And spread on the dough.



Blueberry Vanilla Filling:
  • 1 cup blueberries (thaw them first if they are frozen)
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
Blend everything together in the blender and let it set for about 15 minutes to thicken slightly. Spread on the dough.


Chocolate Raspberry Filling:
  • 1 1/2 cups raspberries (thaw them first if frozen)
  • 3 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Mash everything together except for the chocolate and allow it to set for about 15 minutes to thicken slightly. Spread on the dough and sprinkle with the chocolate chips.


Other filling ideas:

If you want to go really simple, you can use fruit preserves of your choice instead of making a filling. Also, you can melt white chocolate or chocolate chips instead of the powdered sugar glaze on top. 

So many choices!!! Our favorite so far is the pecan. So stinkin' good. But I want to experiment with other fillings for fun.

Merry Christmas!!!

Bethany
|

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Bethany! I always thought Kringles looked too complicated, but now I might just have to try one. I love the "tie blanket" reference. Merry Christmas to you and James from your favorite Wisconsin aunt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year to you and James... enjoying your blog... thanks. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Marilyn! Hope you two had a lovely day. Thanks for being my faithful blog reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So did I, Aunt Wendy, so did I. Boy was it a happy surprise. :) Haha, glad you liked my tie blanket reference. Merry Christmas to you and Uncle Duane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a recipe for kringle that is just about like yours. My recipe does not call for the powdered sugar and the finished product does not look nearly as good as yours does!! My recipe just tells me to roll each of the 4 parts of dough into a rectangle 4 inches by 10 inches and then spread raspberry, blueberry, or whatever kind of fruit preserve you'd like down the center, the long way (1-1/2 to 2 inches wide), then fold the long edges together and then bake. As I said, this end product does not look as good as yours does. Your directions say to roll the dough into 6 x 14 inches, so it is much thinnner than the 4 x 10 inches in my directions. I'll have to give your recipe a try. Your finished kringle look good enough to eat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have actually stated in here that your recipe was the one I started with...and ended up tweaking just a tad with the powdered sugar. Then I found other recipes that did the fringe thing which looked pretty. Thanks for the original recipe!!!! We gobble this stuff up like crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! I love the visual of a tie blanket with dough, lol! Your healthy filling versions sound great too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)