Thursday, January 23, 2014

"Healthy" Caramel Corn



Now when one hears "healthy caramel corn" I do not mean that the sugar is replaced with, say, spinach.

Come on, people. The world is just not ideal sometimes..

The reality is, this still contains sugar. {Gasp}. It's true. But at least I'm being up front and honest here. I can say this is healthy because compared to normal caramel corn...it is!

There is a LOT less sugar. And there is NO corn syrup. Plus there are some healthy fats. 

So there. 

Depending on what level of "healthy" you are, this recipe can serve as either a once-a-year special treat, or a swap out for your every-other-night-sugar-crazed-binge. 

I don't judge.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup popping corn
2 Tbs. coconut oil

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar (sucanat or organic cane sugar is best)
1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Pop the corn in the coconut oil. 

Meanwhile melt the butter and sugar together on medium heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook together till bubbly.

Dump the popcorn into a large bowl, and pour the sauce on. Dig in and mix 'er up! Or use a spoon...

Personally, we like to eat ours just like that. Nice and sticky.

But if you like a crunchy caramel corn, spread the popcorn on a baking sheet and bake at 300* for about 15 minutes. Check halfway through and stir.

Yum yum in my tum tum! 



Bethany
|






5 comments:

  1. I needed some comfort food and made this......yummy. The only thing I did different was using avocado oil instead of coconut oil for popping it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! So glad you tried it! I've not used avocado oil much...I had a small bottle, but mostly used it topically. I should try it in cooking. Sounds like it would be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried this with coconut oil instead of the butter? (Thinking Christmas Eve and Abby avoiding dairy....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not...however I'm sure it would totally work, just taste more like coconut!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)