Monday, February 10, 2014

Gingerbread Latte

I really like simple things. And I REALLY like simple things that I only have to make once and can reap the benefits several times.

Hence I give you my gingerbread syrup that you make once, store in the fridge, and use when the I-need-my-coffee-fix-like-yesterday-mood strikes you. 

This also tastes super good in heated milk with a few rounded teaspoons of cocoa powder for a gingerbread hot chocolate. Yea, it's totally cozy to snuggle in a warm blanket on a cold Alaskan day with this.

Me likey!

Gingerbread Syrup

**Note: It's best to use non-powdered forms of the spices if you have them. It simply makes straining them out much easier and ensures you won't have any floaties in your coffee. 

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup sugar of choice (I've only tried it with organic sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons dried ginger root
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon chips (or about 1 cinnamon stick)
  • 2 tablespoons molasses

Directions:

On medium heat mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat just so it continues to cook at a low boil for about 10-12 minutes. Stir occasionally. 

Remove from heat, strain out the spices, pour into a jar and store in the fridge.

BAM. Told you it was simple. :)

Gingerbread Latte:

For each serving you will use 2-4 tablespoons of the syrup. Totally depends on how flavorful and sweet you like it. This is a beautiful way of making a latte because you don't need any fancy equipment to make one.

You can...

  • Brew a traditional cup of coffee, add a splash of milk and the syrup.
  • Make two shots of espresso with an espresso machine, steam some milk and add the syrup.
  • Make coffee using a French press, add a splash of milk and the syrup.
I've had them all three ways and they are all tasty.



If you need a source for quality herbs, spices, etc. I personally love Mountain Rose Herbs as well as the Bulk Herb Store.
Please know that I am an affiliate of both of these businesses. This means that if you choose to purchase something through one of my links I will make a nickel or two, for which I am grateful.


Bethany
|

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, and for us non-coffee drinkers, how would you suggest using this? It sounds yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)