Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Camaraderie of Aurora Viewing



I finally get it. 

The allure of aurora chasing.

It's totally and completely addicting, exhilarating, humbling and breathtaking.

God is a God of many wonders and the auroras are one of them.

About a month ago I went on a little aurora chasing by myself. James was in bed sleeping because he had to get up at 3 AM for work. I was a little hesitant at first because I've never taken night photos before and I didn't want to ruin them. James gave me a quick crash course on the camera for night shots and away I went.

But of course I forgot the piece of paper with the cheater notes on them.

I will not bore you with my little trek out there, suffice it to say our "usual" spot was taken so I wound up in a new location.




As I began to set up shop trying to remember exposure, ISO settings, shutter speed, yadda yadda, the auroras grew from a faint line to a pretty incredible show. I was giddy with excitement and had to contain myself from dancing around.

Oh wait. I did dance cuz I was cold. Jk jk.




After I botched the first 59 or so pictures, eventually my skills improved. I also braved the icy snow banks and planted my tripod in a sketchy, but great, location. 

That's when I had a girl come up to me and ask me for advice about taking good aurora pictures. 

Totally ironic. 




Then awhile later a man and his daughter asked me for some help.

And then another man asked for help.

I'm telling ya, peeps! I don't know what the heck I'm doing either except for my 5 minute crash course!

Anyways, it was great camaraderie. At one point I had someone on the roof of my truck taking pictures because she didn't have a tripod. Fun stuff. 




Not only did I see amazing auroras, but I caught a shooting star in this picture. I saw a bunch of them, but getting one on film was pretty cool. 

My party ended when my battery died from the cold and I couldn't revive it. 



All in all it was a fabulous night. The auroras are crazy things with a mind of their own. Always unique. 

Sometimes they move a lot. Sometimes it's so subtle you don't notice. Sometimes they are right overhead, and sometimes low on the horizon. 

They do not come out when you want them to and they wait for no one. 

There are no string instruments playing in the background as they glide across the sky, rather it's a quiet and serene experience. 

Putting great expectations on them will surely bring disappointment. But if you wait patiently and quietly they will steal your heart.

Bethany
|


4 comments:

  1. Loot the area aand then walk along the wall to the next area.

    Let’s explore this idea by taking a look at what an Elder scrolls MMO would be like in this edition of tthe
    Most Wanted MMOs. There are lots of sites online thgat help in casting love spells so that you can get back with
    your lost love in order to heal your broken relationship.


    My homepage; free love spells that work fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess
    I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm
    thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new
    to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers?

    I'd certainly appreciate it.

    Also visit my blog ... http://trading.goldgrey.org/options-trading/

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)