Friday, April 11, 2014

Coconut Milk & Flour

Howdy ya coconut lovers! I, for one, am not a huge fan of coconuts (the taste) but have been using it more because of how healthy it is. Mostly the oil, but I also use coconut milk in certain recipes. (Like this delicious caramel sauce, or in smoothies) Occasionally I use coconut flour, however I'm still relatively new to it so still have much to learn! 

This is a similar process to making almond milk.

There are two ways that I've read you can make this. I've made them both ways and can't decide which way is "better", so I'll let you choose your method. Supposedly the first method gets out more of the oil, which in turn would make a better flour (not as oily). However, the second option is pretty quick and easy. :) 

Option 1
You will need:
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 1/2 cups HOT water, divided

1) Pour the shredded coconut into the blender along with only 1 1/2 cups of the hot water. Blend until nice and foamy. About a minute or two.

2) Get a clean cloth and secure it to a bowl or mason jar with a rubber band. Pour the liquid into the cloth and let it drain. Once it's drained, squeeze out as much liquid as you can.





















3) Once you get as much liquid squeezed out, you can dump the shredded coconut back in the blender along with the remaining water. Repeat the process. 


Option 2
You will need:

  • 1 cup shredded coconut 
  • 2 to 2 1/2 cups HOT water

1) Dump the shredded coconut into the blender, along with all the hot water.

2) Blend for several minutes. (I blend this version longer just to get out more of the oils, hopefully.) 

3) Strain the same way as in the version above.

There's your coconut milk!

Coconut Flour

You will need:

  • Leftover coconut shreds from making the milk

1) Spread the used coconut shreds onto an ungreased baking sheet and toast in the oven at 170* for 45 minutes. 




2) Stir the flakes around, breaking up any little clumps. Bake for another 15 minutes.  

3) Allow the flakes to cool.

4) Once cooled, throw them in a blender, coffee grinder, or whatever you have to turn it into a fine powder.

That's it! Now you have fresh coconut milk and coconut flour! 

I will work on posting a few recipes using coconut flour. But like I said, I'm still experimenting myself. 

Other tidbits:

  • If you prefer not to use the leftover coconut flakes for making flour, you still can use them in recipes as coconut flakes. You can still toast them if you wish, then simply store them until you need them. 
  • Certain brands of coconut flakes have more or less oil depending on how they are processed. I've heard Bob's Redmill doesn't make as good of coconut milk. I've been using this brand from Vitacost. (Click here to get a $10 off coupon from them.) 
  • Feel free to use more or less water if you wish. It simply depends on how thick you like your coconut milk.
  • Store in the fridge and use within a couple days. Just like fresh cow's milk, this will separate leaving the "cream" on top and the "water" on the bottom.


Bethany
|


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)