Friday, May 23, 2014

Mesh Wreath Tutorial

These crazy mesh wreaths are totally in right now. Honestly, I'm not a super big fan of them, despite how fun they are. Personally I prefer more "earthy" decor. These are not earthy. Haha. However! I make about a bazillion of these for my job, so I figured I'd show you how simple they are to make. For my demonstration purposes I will be making a red, white, and blue wreath for Memorial Day. Also fun for the 4th of July.  

You will need:

  • Metal wreath frame
  • Pipe cleaners
  • Rolls of mesh
  • Scissors

You can choose any size wreath frame you prefer, but if you choose larger than 18 inch I would go with the wider mesh. Generally I use the 18 inch wreath with the 12 inch mesh. Choose as many colors as you'd like. Three is a pretty good number to start with. You can also use a roll of ribbon in place of one of the mesh. Or burlap. Or whatever floats your boat! In the picture up top I used a black, pink, and tan mesh plus a roll of burlap cheetah ribbon.


1) Cut pipe cleaners in half

2) Cut the mesh into 4-6 inch strips like so:


Until you get a huge ol' pile...


3) Then you will gather one strip of each color (sometimes I alternate if only a little of one is desired) and pinch them together in the middle securing with a pipe cleaner to make a little poof like this:


4) Make a gazillion of those little poof things. Okay, more accurately like 50-60 depending on how many colors of mesh you're using. Give or take. 

5) Once you have them made start attaching them to the wreath frame by twisting the pipe cleaners around one of the inner bars. Generally I alternate between the two middle bars to give it a nice full look. See? These two in the picture...



6) Keep adding the little poofs until it's as full as you'd like. Make sure to wrap the pipe cleaners nice and tight so they aren't sticking out cuz dang! Those little wires hurt. Here's a picture of the back side. Not too glamorous, but no one will see it. 



7) Once you're finished with all the little poofs you can attach any other fun doodads you'd like. The sky's the limit! 

The finished wreath ready to salute our troops! 




Ya'll have a lovely Memorial Day weekend. Me? I'll be making more of these little suckers...



Bethany
|



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)