Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Yerba Mate

Ilex paraguariensis


Contains:

  • Antioxidants
  • Saponins
  • Chlorophyll
  • 24 vitamins and minerals including:
  • A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, B-Complex
  • Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc
  • 15 Amino Acids
  • 11 Polyphenols
  • Caffeine

Helps With:

Stimulates and strengthens the immune system thanks to the Saponin content.


Boosts the metabolism.

Great for increasing mental alertness, not only because of the caffeine but also because of all the vitamins and minerals as well.

Tidbits:

It is pronounced yer-bah mah-tay. 


Yerba mate is part of the Holly Family.

Traditionally yerba mate is brewed in a gourd and sipped through a bombilla (straw). Pronounced bom-BEE-ya

There is wide debate whether yerba mate actually contains caffeine. How I understand it is, yes, it contains caffeine but it is accompanied by so many other nutrients that it tends to be more of a stable caffeination. Possibly in part due to the theobromine which creates more of a balanced stimulating affect than coffee since it is a vasodilator and not a vasoconstrictor. This allows more blood flow throughout the body and can actually help lower blood pressure.

There have also been claims that yerba mate is linked to a higher chance of certain types of cancer. One study claimed that part of that is to blame on how traditional countries brew their mate using boiling water. Thus esophageal cancer was caused by the scarring from the water burning the tissue and not the mate itself. Honestly, I am not totally sure what to believe. What I do know is that mate seems to have many good things going for it, so I drink it in moderation.


Getting More:

Check out my recipes for making your own flavored yerba mate! (Coming soon…)

Currently I am really digging the organic Green Yerba Mate found on Divinitea.com. Use the following code during checkout if you would like to receive 10% off your first purchase! 
REWARD-8413-NS023-NHAX

Bethany
|

If you need a source for quality herbs, spices, oils, beeswax etc. I personally love Mountain Rose Herbs as well as the Bulk Herb Store.
Please know that I am an affiliate of both of these businesses. This means that if you choose to purchase something through one of my links I will make a nickel or two, for which I am grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)