Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Lavender Yerba Mate



As I promised here is the first of my yerba mate (yer-bah mah-tay) concoctions! If you are curious about what yerba mate is, check out this post. 

If you are new to drinking yerba mate I will share some of my tips at the end of the post. I challenge you to try it; broaden your horizons! Personally, it took me several tries to really enjoy the mate, so don't give up if the first time is not to your liking.

Lavender Yerba Mate:

Ingredients:

  • 2 parts green yerba mate (as opposed to the roasted mate)
  • 1 part lavender flowers (dried)
  • 1/4 part stevia leaves (dried)

Mix together all the dried herbs and store in a tightly sealed container out of direct sunlight. A glass jar is best. 

**If you are new to measuring herbs a "part" is simply whatever measuring device you choose. So if you want a small batch you could use one teaspoon as your measuring tool. In that case you would use....
  • 2 teaspoons yerba mate
  • 1 teaspoon lavender flowers
  • 1/4 teaspoon stevia leaves
If you want a larger batch use a one cup measuring cup as your "part". I'm not the boss of you, so choose your tool! Jk jk. 

Now the important part...

How to brew yerba mate:

This is how I brew my mate. Nope, it's not in the traditional way using a gourd and bombilla (bom-BEE-yah) but it works for me!

To make a half gallon:

Bring your water to just before boiling. Meanwhile measure out 3-4 tablespoons of the lavender mate into a mason jar. Add a little cool water and swirl it around a bit to "moisten" the herbs. Once your water is almost boiling fill the mason jar to the top. Let your tea brew for 2-3 minutes. Strain into a pitcher. 

Then, I pour the used herbs back into the mason jar and cover with more hot water. This time I steep it for longer, maybe 5-6 minutes. Strain the tea into the pitcher and discard the herbs. You can drink it as is, or chill it and drink it iced. That's it!

To make a single cup of hot mate:

Use about 1 tablespoon of the tea per cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for about 3-5 minutes. Strain, and enjoy!

To make a single cup of iced mate:

Use 2 tablespoons of the tea per cup of hot water, steep for 3-5 minutes and pour over ice.

Hints and tricks:

Not that I'm an expert on brewing yerba mate or anything, but here's what I have learned:

  • Mixing a little cool water with the tea before pouring the hot water over the top apparently helps to protect the mate's nutrients. I've also read that it helps make the tea not taste so bitter. 
  • The stevia adds just a bit of sweetness, so you shouldn't need any other sweetener. Add more or less stevia if you prefer.
  • Personally I much prefer iced yerba mate, which is why I make it in a big batch and then keep it in the fridge. It's super delicious over ice.


The two places I like to buy my yerba mate are:

  • Divinitea.com (get 10% off your first order by using the following code:  REWARD-8413-NS023-NHAX
  • Vitacost.com  (I like the Eco Teas Organic Yerba Mate)
If you need a source for quality herbs, spices, oils, beeswax etc. I personally love Mountain Rose Herbs as well as the Bulk Herb Store.
Please know that I am an affiliate of both of these businesses. This means that if you choose to purchase something through one of my links I will make a nickel or two, for which I am grateful.



That's about all I know! Now go and brew yourself some mate!



Bethany
|





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! It's fun knowing you are reading my blog. :)